Setting up an EtherPad instance (for a novice)

Tom Hagley

Dec 6, 2019, 11:28:23 AM12/6/19
to Etherpad Developers
Hey all,

I have been using etherpad.net, piratepad.org and factor.cc/pad for many years and have found them all useful. I would like to set up my own instance of etherpad that I can share with friends, colleagues and the wider internet. But, I wasn't sure how to get started.

Please assume a total lack of knowledge of github, node JS, etc. I'm happy to put some time into this and I'm not in a rush. I'm happy to learn.

My understanding was that I'd need to set up a server on a spare computer or something. If someone could point me in the right direction with resources or advice, I'd be extremely grateful. Even if I have to learn something first, that's fine. I just don't even know where to start.

I love etherpad and want to help it flourish.

Thanks!

Peter Kaminski

Dec 6, 2019, 12:05:52 PM12/6/19
to Tom Hagley, Etherpad Developers
Hi Tom,

I'd be interested in collaborating to create a short, not very technical how-to/tutorial on setting up an instance of Etherpad on low-cost cloud-based server. Basically, just writing up the resources and advice you're looking for.

Perhaps we can discuss more off-list?

I too love etherpad and want to help it flourish. My background is in software and web apps, and I run MeetingWords, a public instance of Etherpad Classic that's been up since the open source release.

Pete