Xen Console Problem

Kenneth Hamlin

May 8, 2012, 4:27:12 PM5/8/12
to ether-devel
Finally got everything up and running on my test box. The only problem
comes when I run xm create config.hvm, no console window for the VM
pops up. So I try running xm console windows-001, and it just returns
BSsBSsBSsBSs then the terminal stops responding and I can't control+c
to quit out. I've also installed xtightvncviewer in order to vnc into
the box but anytime I run a vnc command it just says Cannot open
display " ". Not really sure what could be causing these problems,
maybe something with X since it all revolves around the graphics
display, and I'm not really sure if there are any log files to check
in order to get more information about whats causing it to not work.
Any ideas?

Christian Strack

May 8, 2012, 5:01:56 PM5/8/12
to ether-devel
Xen can't connect a virtual console to HVM guests . You need to use
vnc and declare this in your guest config file with
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncviewer=1
Now you can start your machine with xm create -c /path/to/config and
your vncviewer should start

Kenneth Hamlin

May 14, 2012, 9:33:35 AM5/14/12
to ether-devel
Thanks for the reply but even with VNC installed and enabled in the
configuration file, when I use xm create -c, it starts the virtual
machine, says VNC=1, then skips a line and just says DSsDSsDSsDSs and
nothing else happens.

On May 8, 5:01 pm, Christian Strack <str...@informatik.uni-marburg.de>

Kenneth Hamlin

May 14, 2012, 2:21:31 PM5/14/12
to ether-devel
I found the problem. VNC has to be ran as a normal user and the VM
only responds on 127.0.0.1, trying to use localhost or the external IP
of the machine causes the same error, or display not available.

So now I have a VNC view of the machine, but its hanging on the
Windows Setup blue screen. At the bottom it says Press F6 to choose
additional drivers. However I cannot input anything, and I've let the
system sit for some time and it never seems to progress through the
setup or loading of files. Even switching from an ISO image to the
physical cd drive with the XP SP2 cd in it doesn't make a difference.

I read in other posts that XP on this older version of Xen needs you
to press F5 instead of F6 and choose normal desktop in order for
installation to start. But like I said before it doesn't seem like any
input is being registered.

Artem Dinaburg

May 14, 2012, 2:26:52 PM5/14/12
to ether...@googlegroups.com
For some reason installing WinXP on ether-patched Xen doesn't work. The recommended workaround is to install Windows on un-patched Xen, and then run the installed VM on the ether-patched version.

Artem

Christian Strack

May 14, 2012, 2:29:41 PM5/14/12
to ether-devel
Glad to hear that. As root has no active X session this seems to fit.
Perhaps there's no entry for localhost
in your /etc/hosts file? The IP of the machine would make no sense
because the hypervisor is running the vnc server.

I had pretty much the same problem. I'm afraid the only thing you can
do is to set up a newer version of Xen
to install XP and copy the image file to your ether machine
afterwards.