Where are all the groups [Update]

Ray Banana

Feb 20, 2012, 10:51:59 AM2/20/12
registration. You have either forgotten to configure your client to use
your username and password or the client does not send the user data, as
it assumes they are not required.

In this case it is necessary to force the client to send authentication
data.

The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:

* Mozilla Thunderbird

Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings
Always request authentication when connecting to this server

* Seamonkey

Edit-> Mail- and Newsgroups Account Settings -> Server Settings ->
Tick the "Always request authentication when connecting to this
server" check box

* Forte Agent

In

Options - General Preferences - User

check the "Server requires Authorization" Login checkbox and enter
your user name and password below.

* slrn

add the following line to .slrnrc:
set force_authentication 1

* Gnus

add the following line to .authinfo:
machine news.eternal-september.org login xxxxxx force yes password xxxxxxxx

* mutt (with vvv-nntp patch)

add the following line to .muttrc:
set
news_server="nntp://username:pass...@news.eternal-september.org:119"

(provided by Travis Poppe)

* Pine

In .pinerc add the line
nntp-server=news.eternal-september.org/user=myaccount

* xrn

In the X resources database (often a file named .Xdefaults in
one's home directory) put a line:

xrn*authenticateOnConnect: true

You can also do this by typing at a command prompt:

echo "xrn*authenticateOnConnect: true" | xrdb -merge

On the xrn command line, include the argument

-authenticator "user/pass name/passwd"

where "user/pass" is a literal string, "name" is replaced by the
registered username, "passwd" is replaced by the assigned
password, and the surrounding quotes are essential.

(Contributed by Steve Willner)

* Opera

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=167037

* MT-NewsWatcher 3.5.2 (Probably other versions too)

(Menu) Special -> News Servers...
(Tab) Authentication
Method [Username and Password]
Username
Password [x] Save Password

( ) Authenticate only when requested
(o) Always authenticate

(Menu) Special -> Rebuild Full Group List

If you know other newsreaders that need special configuration, please
send me an email, so I can make this information available here.

I have now set up my news client to use authentication and I still don't
see all newsgroups

(Information contributed by David W. Hodgins)

Motzarella allows posting to a limited number of groups, without
authentication.

When the news reader first connects, it gets a list of groups it is
allowed to see/post to. From this point on, the news readers only asks
for a list of new groups, when it connects.

Once you set the news reader to always authenticate, and give it the
correct username/password, the rest of the groups will be allowed, but
as they are not new groups from the server's point of view, they will
not be listed in the list of "new groups". The only way to get the rest
of the groups, is to force the news reader to get the full list of
groups again, after the authentication has been setup. The method of
doing that varies from one news reader to another.

For opera users, there is no way to do this via the gui interface. Opera
must be shut down. Each account has an incoming??.txt file, where ?? is
a number in the Mail directory (See Help/About Opera, to find the path
on your platform). Find the one for eternal-september.org, and change
the last_updated= to 0.

Ray Banana

Feb 20, 2012, 10:55:02 AM2/20/12
I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy

This hierarchy is open for reading and posting without

Ray Banana

Feb 20, 2012, 10:59:04 AM2/20/12

Mike Easter

Feb 20, 2012, 1:14:14 PM2/20/12
Ray Banana wrote:

> I have now set up my news client to use authentication and I still
> don't see all newsgroups

> Once you set the news reader to always authenticate, and give it the
> correct username/password, the rest of the groups will be allowed, but
> as they are not new groups from the server's point of view, they will
> not be listed in the list of "new groups". The only way to get the rest
> of the groups, is to force the news reader to get the full list of
> groups again, after the authentication has been setup. The method of
> doing that varies from one news reader to another.

Thunderbird's Manage subscriptions/ Subscribe wizard has a Refresh
button which re-downloads the entire list.

This is similar in function and 'location'/access to (such as) Claws
Refresh and OE's Reset list functions.

--
Mike Easter

David W. Hodgins

Feb 20, 2012, 1:32:04 PM2/20/12
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:59:04 -0500, Ray Banana <ray...@banana.shacknet.nu> wrote:

> Motzarella allows posting to a limited number of groups, without

Looks like that line needs to be updated. :-)

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Eternal September

Feb 20, 2012, 11:05:12 PM2/20/12
I have now set up my news client to use authentication and I still don't
see all newsgroups

(Information contributed by David W. Hodgins)

Eternal-September allows posting to a limited number of groups, without
authentication.

When the news reader first connects, it gets a list of groups it is
allowed to see/post to. From this point on, the news readers only asks
for a list of new groups, when it connects.

Once you set the news reader to always authenticate, and give it the
correct username/password, the rest of the groups will be allowed, but
as they are not new groups from the server's point of view, they will
not be listed in the list of "new groups". The only way to get the rest
of the groups, is to force the news reader to get the full list of
groups again, after the authentication has been setup. The method of
doing that varies from one news reader to another.

Ray Banana

Feb 20, 2012, 11:05:50 PM2/20/12
Thus spake "David W. Hodgins" <dwho...@nomail.afraid.org>

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:59:04 -0500, Ray Banana <ray...@banana.shacknet.nu> wrote:
>> Motzarella allows posting to a limited number of groups, without
> Looks like that line needs to be updated. :-)

Done.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.
http://www.eternal-september.org

Markus Ammann

Feb 21, 2012, 12:21:57 PM2/21/12
Eternal September wrote:
> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy

Hier reichte ein Post:

--> <slrnh4ne4f...@banana.shacknet.nu>
| Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:27:11 +0000 (UTC)

----

Doppelt hält bekanntlich besser:

--> <hkplf2$aqj$2...@ray-banana.eternal-september.org>

--> <slrnhn1qhd...@banana.shacknet.nu>
| Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 04:53:01 +0000 (UTC)
| Supersedes: <hkplf2$aqj$2...@ray-banana.eternal-september.org>

| I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy

----

Dies nun wiecer verdoppeln:

--> <waatn-faq-1329753119$32...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>

--> <waatn-faq-1329753301$3...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>

--> <waatn-faq-1329753543$9...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>

--

<waatn-faq-1329797112$19...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
| From: Eternal September <ne...@eternal-september.org>
| Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 04:05:12 +0000 (UTC)
| Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753543$9...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
| Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 04:05:12 +0000 (UTC)

----

Die nächste Postingaktion geht somit achtfach über die Bühne ;-).

Gruss Markus

--
Dieser Beitrag entstand durch hirnloses Herumtippen auf der Tastatur.
Jeglicher Sinn und Zusammenhang darin waere rein zufaellig und nicht

Ray Banana

Feb 21, 2012, 12:31:05 PM2/21/12
Thus spake Markus Ammann <sp...@howalgonium.ch>

> | Supersedes: <hkplf2$aqj$2...@ray-banana.eternal-september.org>
[...]
> | Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753119$32...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
[...]
> | Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753301$3...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
[...]
> | Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753543$9...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
>
> Die nächste Postingaktion geht somit achtfach über die Bühne ;-).

Nicht zitieren, kapieren!

Markus Ammann

Feb 21, 2012, 1:00:13 PM2/21/12
Ray Banana wrote:
> Thus spake Markus Ammann <sp...@howalgonium.ch>
>
>> | Supersedes: <hkplf2$aqj$2...@ray-banana.eternal-september.org>
> [...]
>> | Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753119$32...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
> [...]
>> | Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753301$3...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
> [...]
>> | Supersedes: <waatn-faq-1329753543$9...@mx01.eternal-september.org.net>
>>
>> Die nächste Postingaktion geht somit achtfach über die Bühne ;-).
>
> Nicht zitieren, kapieren!

Natürlich ;-). Für die nächste Postingaktion sind dann sieben
Supersedes nötig.

Peter

May 6, 2012, 9:29:35 AM5/6/12
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 04:05:12 -0000, Eternal September
<ne...@eternal-september.org> wrote:

> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy
>
> This hierarchy is open for reading and posting without
> registration. You have either forgotten to configure your client to use
> your username and password or the client does not send the user data, as
> it assumes they are not required.
>
> In this case it is necessary to force the client to send authentication
> data.
>
> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:
> <snip>
> * Opera
>
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=167037
> <snip>

> I have now set up my news client to use authentication and I still don't
> see all newsgroups
>
> (Information contributed by David W. Hodgins)
>
> Eternal-September allows posting to a limited number of groups, without
> authentication.
>
> When the news reader first connects, it gets a list of groups it is
> allowed to see/post to. From this point on, the news readers only asks
> for a list of new groups, when it connects.
>

> Once you set the news reader to always authenticate, and give it the
> correct username/password, the rest of the groups will be allowed, but
> as they are not new groups from the server's point of view, they will
> not be listed in the list of "new groups". The only way to get the rest
> of the groups, is to force the news reader to get the full list of
> groups again, after the authentication has been setup. The method of
> doing that varies from one news reader to another.
>

> For opera users, there is no way to do this via the gui interface. Opera
> must be shut down. Each account has an incoming??.txt file, where ?? is
> a number in the Mail directory (See Help/About Opera, to find the path
> on your platform). Find the one for eternal-september.org, and change
> the last_updated= to 0.

Is the following a way of getting Opera to work easily?

I'm a long-term Opera user (currently 11.62). For some reason (several
upgrades?), I decided to reset my newsgroup accounts. Hence a renewed
interest in getting Opera to work with Eternal September. After the usual
failures, the following procedure is suggested:-

1) Register at Eternal September to set a user name and get a password

2) Disconnect from internet to prevent Opera communicating with the
Eternal September server

3) Set up new newsgroup account - at this stage you can only set the
servers

4) With the new account now showing in the mail panel, right-click on it
and select properties.

5) Change to plain text authentication and add your user name and password

6) Reconnect to internet so that Opera can connect to the Eternal
September server for the first time

7) Enjoy selecting from the full list of newsgroups!

I've only done this the once, just now, and it may well have been shared
before but I note that the FAQ still takes you down the route of having to
dabble in Opera's files. If others can confirm, it might be useful for the
FAQ.

Peter

Stephen McCrea

May 7, 2012, 8:25:04 AM5/7/12
On Sun, 06 May 2012 14:29:35 +0100, Peter <pete...@netscape.net>
wrote:
If you deliberately enter, say, news.eternal-september.invalid (or any
old 'mistake' really), Opera will try to list the newsgroups and fail.
Edit the account to fix the server name, add the user ID and password
etc. and all should be well.

This is from memory but it has worked for me in the past and seems a
tad less complicated than editing Opera's innards or disconnecting
from the Interwebs.

I hope this helps, Stephen.
--
Stephen McCrea
sjmcc fastmail fm

Peter

May 7, 2012, 1:29:50 PM5/7/12
Now - why didn't I think of that?! Disabling the local network is only a
couple of clicks though.

Either way would seem worthwhile being added to the ES FAQ. Peter

rahim

Jul 12, 2013, 11:15:43 PM7/12/13
is anybody there in eternal september

Nun the Wizer

Jul 13, 2013, 12:19:53 AM7/13/13
rahim <abdu...@sdf.org> writes
>is anybody there in eternal september

Apparently so, but traffic has been light recently (or so it
appears at my 'end').
--
Nun the Wizer

VanguardLH

Jul 13, 2013, 1:15:32 AM7/13/13
rahim wrote:

> is anybody there in eternal september

Shhhh everyone. Don't let him know we're in here.

~BD~

Jul 13, 2013, 2:30:34 AM7/13/13
rahim wrote:
> is anybody there in eternal september

Dave waves! ;-)

--
"God made the cat in order that man might have the pleasure of stroking
the tiger"

~ Fernand Mery

Aragorn

Jul 13, 2013, 9:55:00 AM7/13/13
On Saturday 13 July 2013 06:19, Nun the Wizer conveyed the following to
eternal-september.support...

> rahim <abdu...@sdf.org> writes
>
>> is anybody there in eternal september
>>
> Apparently so, but traffic has been light recently (or so it
> appears at my 'end').

Same thing at my end, and I've been suspecting that there /may/ again be
a synchronization problem going on. Groups that normally receive lots
of traffic are suddenly very quiet, and have been for the past couple of
days.

Maybe Ray can confirm this?

--
= Aragorn =
GNU/Linux user #223157 - http://www.linuxcounter.net

Sleepalot

Mar 28, 2014, 12:02:08 AM3/28/14
Thank you for providing this useful information.

James Kalb

Apr 20, 2014, 7:32:37 AM4/20/14

> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:
>

> * Opera
>
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=167037

James Kalb

Apr 20, 2014, 7:32:55 AM4/20/14
The Opera link doesn't work.

> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:

hruodland

Apr 22, 2014, 8:46:57 AM4/22/14
Maybe the FAQ should be updated? Opera works if you set NNTP server
authentication to "Plaintext" and Outgoing SMTP server authentication to
"AUTH LOGIN" on the "Servers" tab when you
set up the account. (That info could be combined with the business down
below about editing the "incoming*.txt" file.)

mecej4

Jun 24, 2015, 8:59:22 AM6/24/15
On 2/20/2012 10:05 PM, Eternal September wrote:
> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy
>
> This hierarchy is open for reading and posting without
> registration. You have either forgotten to configure your client to use
> your username and password or the client does not send the user data, as
> it assumes they are not required.
>
> In this case it is necessary to force the client to send authentication
> data.
>
> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:
>
> <------CUT----->
> (Contributed by Steve Willner)
>
> * Opera
>
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=167037

That link is now (June 2015) defunct. The current Opera browser has no
NNTP capabilities.

However, the paragraph at the end of "Eternal September"s post works
with the Opera Mail 1.0 client:

--
mecej4
_____________________________

mecejfor_AT_gmile_dot_com
(Replace 'for' by '4' and 'mile' by 'mail')

Mike Easter

Jun 24, 2015, 11:09:16 AM6/24/15
mecej4 wrote:
> That link is now (June 2015) defunct.

Browsing around in the opera forum about opera mail found this
philosophical discussion:

http://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15205608#Comment_15205608

The longer philosophy at the link might be 'encapsulated' by this
extraction from it...

"a built-in mail client is (to many, many users) as unneeded as a
stand-alone mail client, and the differences between stand-alone and
built-in clients evaporate in the migration away from either."

And yet, as recently as the newest release of the linux distro LXLE, the
developer decided that the combined suite SeaMonkey was more efficient
than the more popular Firefox and particularly if Thunderbird were
included, so he rejected Firefox and Thunderbird in favor of SeaMonkey,
as has Puppy Linux for years.

For someone who is an advocate of format=flowed, Opera's mail client for
news has the distinct advantage of being a compliant f=f client, which
very few news agents are. Tb calls itself f=f, but it is not compliant,
falling down in replies to f=f messages.

--
Mike Easter

DMcCunney

Jun 24, 2015, 12:16:21 PM6/24/15
On 6/24/2015 11:09 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> And yet, as recently as the newest release of the linux distro LXLE, the
> developer decided that the combined suite SeaMonkey was more efficient
> than the more popular Firefox and particularly if Thunderbird were
> included, so he rejected Firefox and Thunderbird in favor of SeaMonkey,
> as has Puppy Linux for years.

Puppy's motivation was size. It's aimed at older hardware, and the
default Puppy distro bundled apps selected because they were small, and
would load reasonably quickly on the sort of device Puppy was installed
on. (I have Puppy on an ancient notebook with 256MB RAM and IDE4 HD. I
don't even try to run a current Firefox on it.)

The version that Puppy bundled was from the 1.X branch. That version is
long since dead. No one was creating patches for it, so updates
wouldn't occur, and the engineer maintaining it was doing do on a server
in his basement he wanted to turn off. It's also increasingly behind
the times in standards compliance.

Puppy's creator was talking about migrating to the SeaMonkey 2 branch,
but I doubt he could get it to build small enough.

I use a current SM 2 version on my netbook, where the scarce resource is
screen real estate. Discovering how to get mail/new to open in t tab
instead of a separate window was the key. The mail/news portion is used
for news. I use Gmail as my email, and prefer to read it in the browser.
______
Dennis

Mike Easter

Jun 24, 2015, 1:44:56 PM6/24/15
DMcCunney wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> the linux distro LXLE, the
>> developer decided that the combined suite SeaMonkey was more efficient

LXLE's tweaking of SM is described here
http://lxle.net/articles/?post=lxle-switch-to-seamonkey-introduces-rotation-donation

LXLE describes itself as "Full featured OS for an aging PC." so it not
only wants a browser that is more robust than the lightweight choices,
but (much) less bloated than Firefox, meanwhile adding FTP and Lightning
calendar to the SM mod.

> Puppy's motivation was size.

Size and resource consumption.

> The version that Puppy bundled was from the 1.X branch.

The most recent Puppy I booted TahrPup 6.0l2 is using PaleMoon and
Sylpheed for mail.

> the mail/news portion is used for news. I use Gmail as my email, and
> prefer to read it in the browser.

Because I work across different OSes and computers and don't feel like
IMAPing my mail around, I use gmail's webmail and Tb strictly for news,
not mail.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jun 24, 2015, 2:43:49 PM6/24/15
mecej4 wrote:
> The current Opera browser has no NNTP capabilities.

Have you checked out the Opera derivative Vivaldi?

I see debates in the Vivaldi forum about including (or not) such as
mailnews client, but I don't see that listed in such as this comparison
between seamonkey and vivaldi
http://web-browsers.softwareinsider.com/compare/7-58/SeaMonkey-vs-Vivaldi
SeaMonkey vs Vivaldi - Web Browsers Comparison

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jun 24, 2015, 5:38:32 PM6/24/15
DMcCunney wrote:
> Puppy's creator was talking about migrating to the SeaMonkey 2 branch,
> but I doubt he could get it to build small enough.

Barry's newest Puppy is Quirky 7 April which uses a SM 2.31.

That Puppy has a somewhat different strategy about how it installs.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/april-7.0/release-april-7.0.htm
Now we have Quirky 7.0, which is whole new ball game. - Quirky is
intended for full installs, but now supports live-CD and "frugal"
installs (with severe restrictions)

--
Mike Easter

DMcCunney

Jun 25, 2015, 6:49:02 PM6/25/15
On 6/24/2015 1:44 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> DMcCunney wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>
>>> the linux distro LXLE, the
>>> developer decided that the combined suite SeaMonkey was more efficient
>
> LXLE's tweaking of SM is described here
> http://lxle.net/articles/?post=lxle-switch-to-seamonkey-introduces-rotation-donation

I've seen stuff on LXLE elsewhere.

> LXLE describes itself as "Full featured OS for an aging PC." so it not
> only wants a browser that is more robust than the lightweight choices,
> but (much) less bloated than Firefox, meanwhile adding FTP and Lightning
> calendar to the SM mod.

I'll reserve judgement on what constitutes "bloat". I run FF here on
the desktop as my production browser under Windows and Linux, but it's a
quad core 2.4ghz Xeon based box with 8GB RAM and booting from SSD, so I
have the hardware to support it. (I also put FF cache and my standard
profile on a ramdisk in Windows, which speeds things up a treat. Next
step is experimenting with a similar setup in Linux.)

I don't use Lightning in SM. I installed the Google Calendar Tab addon
for calendaring, and keep my calendar there.

I *do* note that the latest release of Thunderbird now has Lightning
installed out of the box. About time: when TBird was first out, the
competition was largely MS Outlook, and calendaring was as important to
Outlook users as email. My thought all along was "If you want to get
market share form Outlook, you *must* have a viable calendar function."

The big win for me running SM was discovering how to open mail/news in a
tab rather than a window. You can do it through a Chrome URL.

(There does *not* seem to be a way to open Lightning in SM that way.)

>> Puppy's motivation was size.
>
> Size and resource consumption.

True.

>> The version that Puppy bundled was from the 1.X branch.
>
> The most recent Puppy I booted TahrPup 6.0l2 is using PaleMoon and
> Sylpheed for mail.

I'm way behind on Puppy releases. I think I still have 4.31 here.
Sounds like they couldn't get SM 2.X small enough.

I found Puppy in the first place when a friend passed along her old
notebook. She had upgraded, but loved the old box and wanted it to go
to a good home.

The machine is a Fujitsu Lifebook dating from 2005. It had an 867mhz
Transmeta Crusoe CPU, 256MB RAM, onboard ATI Rage Mobility graphics with
8MB video RAM, and a 30GB IDE4 HD. Tje CPU grabbed 16MB off the top for
code morphing. She commented it was "slow slow slow". No surprise: as
handed to me it had WinXP Pro SP2, and took 8 minutes to simply boot.
Actually doing anything took rather longer. I went looking for OSes and
software better suited for low end kit.

I swapped in a 40GB HD from a failed laptop, repartitioned, and started
fiddling. 20GB went to an NTFS slice where I installed Win2K SP4.
Stripping out everything that could be stripped out got an installation
that booted in a reasonable time frame and took about 80MB RAM. Two 8GB
slices got formatted as ext3, and got Ubuntu and Puppy Linux
respectively. They were configured to mount each other's slices when
booted, and I spent some time setting things up so there was one copy of
really large apps shared between them. An open source Windows driver
let it read and write the Linux partitions. A 2GB slice got formatted
as FAT, and I installed FreeDOS. The rest was Linux swap.

Puppy was fairly sprightly if you just ran it and the bundled apps, but
beyond that things went downhill fast. Aside from low RAM, transfer
speed on the IDE4 drive was anemic. I didn't even try to run a current
Firefox version: it took FF 45 seconds to simply load, and it was
perceptibly slow once up. Chrome and Opera loaded faster, but weren't
all that fast in operation either. (But then, trying to access the
Internet was a lost cause regardless. I saw really slow speed even
running IE6 from the Windows side while connected by CAT5 cable to my
router.)

I first installed Ubuntu from the Xubuntu distribution. It installed
fine, but was snail slow in operation. Posters on the Ubuntu forums
suggested Canonical had a steadily advancing idea of what "low end" was,
and that too much Gnome had crept into Xubuntu. They recommended what I
did: install from 8.04 Minimal CD to get a working CLI installation,
then use apt-get to pick and choose what I wanted. Lxde got the nod as
desktop. Installed that way, Ubuntu was almost as sprightly as Puppy. I
wound up spending most time in it because Puppy's "always run as root"
approach gave me hives, and Puppy was a little too quirky and
non-standard in a lot of areas.

I haven't actually booted the machine in months. It was mostly an
experiment to see what I could wring out of ancient hardware without
throwing money at it. It was fun to play with, but actual work got done
elsewhere.

The traveling machine these days is an Acer netbook dual booting WinXP
Home and Ubuntu.

>> the mail/news portion is used for news. I use Gmail as my email, and
>> prefer to read it in the browser.
>
> Because I work across different OSes and computers and don't feel like
> IMAPing my mail around, I use gmail's webmail and Tb strictly for news,
> not mail.

Same here.
______
Dennis

Mike Easter

Jun 25, 2015, 8:29:01 PM6/25/15
DMcCunney wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> The most recent Puppy I booted TahrPup 6.0l2 is using PaleMoon and
>> Sylpheed for mail.
>
> I'm way behind on Puppy releases. I think I still have 4.31 here.
> Sounds like they couldn't get SM 2.X small enough.

Since I posted about TahrPup (typo above, the v. is 6.0.2) I just had to
get a little involved with Barry's latest. He calls himself 'retired'
from Puppy development, and most of the heavy lifting for Puppy
development is done by community members, such as that TahrPup and the
Slacko versions that preceded it, but he's developing himself again,
working on Quirky April, now up to 7.0.4.1.

Surprisingly, Quirky April is a whole new idea that has a different
approach. Instead of the SFS layers and the save-file strategy that
have been so unique to Puppy, April is more like a conventional install
to USB. There is a more difference to the infrastructure which he
describes, but part of the reason for mentioning it here is because it
is back to SeaMonkey v.2.33.

Installing it is different than just burning an .iso to USB; I used that
live TahrPup plus some April files to install it to a 4G USB. It loads
very quickly.

While searching around for commentary on LXLE's SeaMonkey mod, I also
ran into some comments about it in one of the Puppy forums, as well as
in the SeaMonkey moz support group.

--
Mike Easter

DMcCunney

Jun 25, 2015, 10:59:41 PM6/25/15
On 6/25/2015 8:28 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> DMcCunney wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>>> The most recent Puppy I booted TahrPup 6.0l2 is using PaleMoon and
>>> Sylpheed for mail.
>>
>> I'm way behind on Puppy releases. I think I still have 4.31 here.
>> Sounds like they couldn't get SM 2.X small enough.
>
> Since I posted about TahrPup (typo above, the v. is 6.0.2) I just had to
> get a little involved with Barry's latest. He calls himself 'retired'
> from Puppy development, and most of the heavy lifting for Puppy
> development is done by community members, such as that TahrPup and the
> Slacko versions that preceded it, but he's developing himself again,
> working on Quirky April, now up to 7.0.4.1.
>
> Surprisingly, Quirky April is a whole new idea that has a different
> approach. Instead of the SFS layers and the save-file strategy that
> have been so unique to Puppy, April is more like a conventional install
> to USB. There is a more difference to the infrastructure which he
> describes, but part of the reason for mentioning it here is because it
> is back to SeaMonkey v.2.33.

I don't think SFS layers and the save file structure are unique to
Puppy, but it certainly used them to effect. It made it easy to spin
whole new Puppy custom versions, and there are more than I could keep
track of.

Part of the issue I saw was that Puppy didn't have any idea what it
wanted to be when it grew up. I found it as a distro suited to older
hardware with lower resources, but Puppy denizens were all over the map.

I wonder what Barry thinks his new product is supposed to be?

> Installing it is different than just burning an .iso to USB; I used that
> live TahrPup plus some April files to install it to a 4G USB. It loads
> very quickly.
>
> While searching around for commentary on LXLE's SeaMonkey mod, I also
> ran into some comments about it in one of the Puppy forums, as well as
> in the SeaMonkey moz support group.

I'll have to poke around a bit and get a clearer idea of what they did.
I haven't been active on the Puppy forums in a while.

I've been using Mozilla code since it was still an internal Netscape
project, and ran NS7, and later the Mozilla Suite, before development
efforts shifted to Firefox/Thunderbird. I was pleased to see SeaMonkey
reborn as a community effort. I have it working mostly as I like on the
netbook as a single product to handle both browsing and news. The
biggest lack (and one I find a bit inexplicable) is an extension similar
to Tab Mix to provide better tabbed browsing control. Piro had one that
worked on the NS7/MS/SM 1.X line, but it's no longer maintained and
nothing has popped up to replace it. (Essentially, I'd like to force
everything to open in a new tab by default.)
______
Dennis

Mike Easter

Jun 26, 2015, 12:26:53 PM6/26/15
DMcCunney wrote:
> I don't think SFS layers and the save file structure are unique to
> Puppy, but it certainly used them to effect. It made it easy to spin
> whole new Puppy custom versions, and there are more than I could
> keep track of.

Indeed.

> Part of the issue I saw was that Puppy didn't have any idea what it
> wanted to be when it grew up. I found it as a distro suited to older
> hardware with lower resources, but Puppy denizens were all over the
> map.

> I wonder what Barry thinks his new product is supposed to be?

Barry K. says he likes to explore new ideas. He blogged in 2013 Dec at
the release of Quirky 6 (his first Puppy was in 2003) that "in a
nutshell, Quirky6 is intended to be as small as possible (hence compiled
from source in T2), very fast, very simple, and optimised to run on
Flash memory media. There are other extended ideas that are in the
pipeline."

I don't know what might be in his pipeline. There have been some
interesting projects involving linux on a stick. Two which come to mind
are KeePass and FixMeStick.

KeePass's idea was a cheap 'computer' for the masses, where the masses
were the impoverished and the available hardware was discarded/recycled
computers. The/Each poor person would own his USB stick and there would
be a 'community' availability of recycled computer/s. The USB would be
used to boot up the person's own system and then that person could walk
away with their USB. KeePass went off in a different direction than
desktop type linux in favor of the same ideas with android. Personally
I don't think androidy linux is well suited to the variety of hardware
encountered with recycling.

FixMeStick isn't a conventional desktop linux at all. It is designed to
be 'integrated' with a Windows computer which is borked with malware.
It employs strategies by which it can be integrated with a Win system
which either boots or won't boot which initial steps either primarily or
secondarily result in booting from the stick. Optimally there is no
need for the user to even understand the BIOS options for USB booting.
Then the stick has licensed AV relationships with 3 different AV-type
outfits, automatically gets online and updates its definitions, scans
and quarantines the target machine's malware and hopes for the best.
For the price of admission, the FMS people are also willing to aid the
client by phone as well as remote access strategies. The newest
iteration of marketing makes the product very affordable at $10 + $8 s&h
for 30 d. as opposed to the original $60 strategy for initial outlay.

Both KP & FMS used crowd funding successfully to advance their projects.
I'm sure that if Barry K. were to decide to sell some kind of stick
idea with crowd funding there would be good response. Neither KP nor
FMS ever provided the public with an opportunity to evaluate their
system without paying for it.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jun 26, 2015, 2:20:42 PM6/26/15
Mike Easter wrote:

> KeePass

Not KeePass, KeePod; s/KeePass/KeePod/

Keepod | The $7 P http://keepod.com/ Keepod is easy to use, private,
smart, and has the ability to transform your old computer to a fast &
modern Android based PC.

--
Mike Easter

Bobbie Sellers

Jun 26, 2015, 3:21:33 PM6/26/15
With several varieties of Linux available on USB sticks why would
anyone want to go to the limited capabilities of Android?

I got a tablet with Android paying more for it than my present
x86_64 notebook and it was a nearly total disappointment plus it had
the Android firmware that keeps it from easily being a more useful Linux
computer. That firmware writes into the system the law passed against
all sense of ownership outlawing the changing of the OS of the expensive
tablet.

bliss

Mike Easter

Jun 26, 2015, 6:06:10 PM6/26/15
Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> With several varieties of Linux available on USB sticks why would
> anyone want to go to the limited capabilities of Android?

Early in their development and funding scheme, the Keepod guys had some
smart ideas about their strategies of using linux and security for the
USB, altho' I thought they should have used a linux with less resource
requirements than Ubuntu, in case they had a weak old recycled, but that
was a small nit. Then they completely lost it and went off into the
weeds on this android on stick for a recycled computer, which seemed
nuts to me. Maybe there's something I don't understand.

Their target audience is apparently the Mathare slums of Nairobi which
are home to half a million.

--
Mike Easter

DMcCunney

Jun 26, 2015, 7:17:15 PM6/26/15
On 6/26/2015 3:21 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> With several varieties of Linux available on USB sticks why would
> anyone want to go to the limited capabilities of Android?

Bear in mind that *Android* is a Linux system. Technically speaking,
Linux is the Linux kernel, and if it uses a Linux kernel it's a Linux
system. My old Linksys WRT54G router used a Linux 2.6 kernel. Because
it used a Linux kernel, the firmware was open source, and a variety of
replacements based on forks of the source appeared. I ran one called
Tomato, which let me ssh into the router and operate at a command line.
My SO was bemused that I could run vi *on* the router to diddle config
files.

(The version of vi was the one provided by Busybox, which provided an
assortment of cut down versions of command line utilities in a single
executable. Busybox is widely used elsewhere, such as in the Puppy
Linux variant. Developer Rob Landley, a former Busybox maintainer, is
currently developing Toybox, which will have the same basic concepts.
His target is Android, and one of the Google Android devs is a major
contributor to his effort. Android had been using a far less capable
product called Toolbox, and he's replacing Toolbox commands with Toybox
versions as they mature enough to be usable. The android devs he
supports are delighted by this.)

> I got a tablet with Android paying more for it than my present
> x86_64 notebook and it was a nearly total disappointment plus it had
> the Android firmware that keeps it from easily being a more useful Linux
> computer. That firmware writes into the system the law passed against
> all sense of ownership outlawing the changing of the OS of the expensive
> tablet.

I have a generic 7" Android tablet from Yet Another Chinese Consumer
Electronics Manufacturer targeting the budget market. (And they, in
turn, seem to get the hardware in a OEM deal from another Chinese
manufacturer.) It has a dual-core 1.5mhz AllWinner23 CPU (an ARM Cortex
7 design), 512MB RAM, 4GB of flash, and Mali graphics powering an
800x480 screen. It can take a 32GB microSD card, and I gave it one for
additional storage. It runs Android 4.2.2Jellybean. The original one I
got as part of a grand opening promo by a computer retailer that opened
an outlet near me, and cost a whopping $20. The replacement when the
original developed a hardware problem and would not take a charge or
connect to the desktop via USB cable cost me $40.

I bought it as a means of getting familiar with Android, and the
principal use would be eBook viewer, using an open source viewer app
called FBReaderJ. That alone justified the cost. Anything beyond that
would be gravy.

The biggest limitation was storage. Internal flash was partitioned, and
there was 1GB configured as in internal SD card, and 787MB available to
store programs. That got exhausted very quickly.

But like other consumer devices, many things become possible when you
root the device. One was expanding application storage. Stock Android
devices can't use external cards to store programs because of the file
system. External cards come formatted as FAT32, and FAT32 has no place
to store things like permissions data that Linux requires to run programs.

After I rooted the device, I popped the 32GB microSD card into an
adapter, plugged it into my desktop, and used a freeware Windows tool to
repartition it and carve out a 2GB slice formatted with the ext3 file
system Android uses. Put the cars back in the tablet, reboot, and
Android saw the new file system and mounted it. From there, I could use
a freeware Android tool called Link2SD that could move an installed app
from internal storage to the external card, and create a symlink in the
root file system pointing to it. Android sees and runs the app. At
this point, I have everything *including* the kitchen sink installed on
the tablet, but it still thinks it has over 350MB of free application
storage.

I can plug in an external USB keyboard using an OTG adapter for things
that need text entry. If I plug in a USB hub via the adapter, and can
use external keyboard and mouse. If I plug in a powered hub, I can add
an external USB hard drive, using a freeware driver that adds support
for NTFS file systems using Linux ntfs3g.

At this point, I can do pretty much everything from the tablet that I do
from the desktop or netbook, in a smaller, lighter form factor. I don't
use it in *place* of the netbook I use when traveling, but I *could*.

There are several solutions out there that will theoretically let me run
Linux on the tablet, but I have no need to. I don't need a Linux
desktop system on the tablet to perform the tasks I want to perform.

> bliss
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

Jun 26, 2015, 7:33:55 PM6/26/15
On 6/26/2015 12:26 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> DMcCunney wrote:

>> I don't think SFS layers and the save file structure are unique to
>> Puppy, but it certainly used them to effect. It made it easy to spin
>> whole new Puppy custom versions, and there are more than I could
>> keep track of.
>
> Indeed.

Part of the fun was that there probably *was* a custom spin of Puppy
optimized for your use cases, but finding out about it was pure
serendipity. Listings I saw were less than informative about what
distinguished them and which to look at for what you wanted to do.

>> Part of the issue I saw was that Puppy didn't have any idea what it
>> wanted to be when it grew up. I found it as a distro suited to older
>> hardware with lower resources, but Puppy denizens were all over the
>> map.
>
>> I wonder what Barry thinks his new product is supposed to be?
>
> Barry K. says he likes to explore new ideas. He blogged in 2013 Dec at
> the release of Quirky 6 (his first Puppy was in 2003) that "in a
> nutshell, Quirky6 is intended to be as small as possible (hence compiled
> from source in T2), very fast, very simple, and optimised to run on
> Flash memory media. There are other extended ideas that are in the
> pipeline."

The "as small as possible" gets problematic. A base Puppy system can be
fairly small, but when you start adding applications things change.

It reminded me a bit of Damn Small Linux, whose goal was a full distro
in an ISO no larger than 50MB. It hit a wall in further development
when it simply wasn't possible to fit anything more into the ISO and
keep it under 50 MB. Want something new? Remove something already there...

Back in the early days, I recall the first thing Linux users doing was
grabbing the source and building a custom Linux kernel for their device,
including only the required drivers to support the hardware they would
run it on. These days that's gone by the board, as current hardware is
powerful enough that you can run a generic kernel and not need the
efficiency a roll-your-own instance can provide. The sort of kit things
like Puppy is run on could actually use something like that.

> I don't know what might be in his pipeline. There have been some
> interesting projects involving linux on a stick. Two which come to mind
> are KeePass and FixMeStick.

<...>

> Both KP & FMS used crowd funding successfully to advance their projects.
> I'm sure that if Barry K. were to decide to sell some kind of stick
> idea with crowd funding there would be good response. Neither KP nor
> FMS ever provided the public with an opportunity to evaluate their
> system without paying for it.

The problem with an idea like KP is that it might provide Linux on a
stick, but anything approximately current in Linux is going to make
assumptions about the hardware the stick is plugged into that may not be
true for the target market.

"Their target audience is apparently the Mathare slums of Nairobi which
are home to half a million."

What those folks will use is a smartphone, and Linux on a stick will be
quite irrelevant.
______
Dennis

Mike Easter

Jun 26, 2015, 8:52:54 PM6/26/15
DMcCunney wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> DMcCunney wrote:
>
>>> I don't think SFS layers and the save file structure are unique
>>> to Puppy, but it certainly used them to effect. It made it easy
>>> to spin whole new Puppy custom versions, and there are more than
>>> I could keep track of.
>>
>> Indeed.
>
> Part of the fun was that there probably *was* a custom spin of Puppy
> optimized for your use cases, but finding out about it was pure
> serendipity. Listings I saw were less than informative about what
> distinguished them and which to look at for what you wanted to do.

Learning about the various Puppies, even in a narrow subsection such as
anything related to the Quirky line recently, takes a fair amount of
'digging' research. Old and new puppy info gets mixed up and sometimes
'misfiled', so I've found it worthwhile to tediously dig and read and
sometimes be imaginative about how to search.

> Back in the early days, I recall the first thing Linux users doing was
> grabbing the source and building a custom Linux kernel for their device,
> including only the required drivers to support the hardware they would
> run it on.

I wasn't into that.

> These days that's gone by the board, as current hardware is powerful
> enough that you can run a generic kernel and not need the efficiency
> a roll-your-own instance can provide. The sort of kit things like
> Puppy is run on could actually use something like that.

Over the years, Puppy has developed a very effective strategy including
wizards for dealing with a wider range of hardware than most distros.
Puppy developers understand that the various iterations of kernels drop
support for devices, so Puppy has 'retro' versions and clever wizards to
help the user guide the wizard to the best strategy for a problem.

Many distros try to solve the graphics card + monitor equation with
algorithms that don't work, while an insightful user can aid the boot
command with some simple vga=xxx guidance.

One of Puppy's strengths is in its ability to use Linmodems or linux
capable winmodems which makes it possible to use some old hardware for
such as landline faxing which would otherwise require some kind of
Windows approach. Of course, the 'last resort' for some modems is some
Windows booted on another part.

> The problem with an idea like KP is that it might provide Linux on a
> stick, but anything approximately current in Linux is going to make
> assumptions about the hardware the stick is plugged into that may not be
> true for the target market.

Those guys aiming at the slums of Nairobi have a different problem than
some operation like Reglue; of a much smaller scale in the Austin &
Taylor TX area which aims at low income family youths in their area.
They get the recycled computers and install an appropriate Linux on it
and provide the family and the youth with the computer and also support.

That way they can make a different linux choice for different hardware
while having a preferred subset of the distros which they are partial to.

> What those folks will use is a smartphone, and Linux on a stick will be
> quite irrelevant.

I think the connectivity issue in Kenya is also a little dicey. I seem
to recall that some areas need to be considering some kind of mesh network.

--
Mike Easter

moebius

Jul 29, 2015, 7:06:09 PM7/29/15
Il 21/02/2012 05:05, Eternal September ha scritto:
> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy
>
> This hierarchy is open for reading and posting without
> registration. You have either forgotten to configure your client to use
> your username and password or the client does not send the user data, as
> it assumes they are not required.
>
> In this case it is necessary to force the client to send authentication
> data.
>
> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:
>
> (Contributed by Steve Willner)
>
> * Opera
>
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=167037
>
> For opera users, there is no way to do this via the gui interface. Opera
> must be shut down. Each account has an incoming??.txt file, where ?? is
> a number in the Mail directory (See Help/About Opera, to find the path
> on your platform). Find the one for eternal-september.org, and change
> the last_updated= to 0.

ok

Antti Juhani Ylikoski

Nov 6, 2015, 12:07:04 PM11/6/15
21/02/12, 06:05, Eternal September kirjoitti:

"****************************************************************************
[...]

I would be very grateful if someone could post here the instructions,
how to do this procedure with the Mozilla Thunderbird.

yours, Dr Antti Ylikoski
HELSINKI
The E.U.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/bluejay/

Mike Easter

Nov 6, 2015, 1:14:37 PM11/6/15
Antti Juhani Ylikoski wrote:
> I would be very grateful if someone could post here the instructions,
> how to do this procedure with the Mozilla Thunderbird.

Tb/ Edit/ Account settings/ (L pane select eternal-september account
section Server settings) R pane titlebar Server settings - section
Server settings check Always request authentication when connecting to
this server - OK out

If your view is View/ check Layout Classic view and check Folder pane,
select e-s account in L pane and click manage newsgroup subscriptions in
R pane - gives Subscribe window with buttons on the R side including
Refresh button.

If you have not previously authenticated, then that refresh will call up
the password manager requesting your user + offer to save and pass +
offer to save.

--
Mike Easter

Paul

Nov 6, 2015, 3:54:36 PM11/6/15
Newsgroup subscriptions and Refresh the newsgroup list,
is the key to seeing all groups when authenticated. The
"Refresh" button in this picture, gives the general idea.
It will cause Thunderbird to pull in a new set of newsgroups.

http://hacklog.mu/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/opensuse-newsgroups.jpg

The Windows version of that dialog is here. Same "Refresh" button.

http://web.stanford.edu/services/usenet/thunderbird_pc/images/tb_12.png

It might take 15 seconds to download the list.

Paul

Antti Juhani Ylikoski

Nov 10, 2015, 2:54:58 PM11/10/15
21/02/12, 06:05, Eternal September kirjoitti:
> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy
>
> This hierarchy is open for reading and posting without
> registration. You have either forgotten to configure your client to use
> your username and password or the client does not send the user data, as
> it assumes they are not required.
>
> In this case it is necessary to force the client to send authentication
> data.
>
> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:
>
> * Mozilla Thunderbird
>
> Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings
> Always request authentication when connecting to this server

How does one do this with the Mozilla Firefox?

Antti Ylikoski
HELSINKI

Vayiftach HaShem et Peah Ha`Aton

A. J. Y.

FrozenNorth

Nov 10, 2015, 3:33:54 PM11/10/15
You cannot do it with Firefox, unless there is a plugin I am totally
unaware of.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Barry Margolin

Nov 10, 2015, 4:11:33 PM11/10/15
In article <n1thu9$dk3$2...@dont-email.me>,
Antti Juhani Ylikoski <ylik...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How does one do this with the Mozilla Firefox?

Firefox is a web browser, not a newsreader.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Paul

Nov 10, 2015, 4:37:10 PM11/10/15
Antti Juhani Ylikoski wrote:

> How does one do this with the Mozilla Firefox?
>
> Antti Ylikoski
> HELSINKI
>

> Vayiftach HaShem et Peah Ha`Aton
>
> A. J. Y.

If you look at the source of Thunderbird, it is a
copy of Firefox, with 10% more files added for the
newsreader/mail function.

And the newsreader/mail source files, look like they
were imported from some version of Netscape (Communcator?).

As a result, Thunderbird is the closest thing to this
for Firefox. It's more than a plugin. It's some code
that uses Firefox to render the interface, the windows
and dialog boxes. (Firefox is the "engine" for Thunderbird.)

Paul

bilsch

Dec 7, 2015, 1:43:50 AM12/7/15
over the years I tried to put my same account on different computers.
Sometimes I got the whole newsgroup list sometimes I never did no matter
what I did. I always checked 'use authentication'.

bilsch

Mike Easter

Dec 7, 2015, 8:24:58 PM12/7/15
bilsch wrote:
> On 7/29/2015 4:02 PM, moebius wrote:
>> Il 21/02/2012 05:05, Eternal September ha scritto:
>>> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy

>> ok

> over the years I tried to put my same account on different
> computers. Sometimes I got the whole newsgroup list sometimes I never
> did no matter what I did. I always checked 'use authentication'.

OP: 2012 Feb; reply 2015 Jul. Much off-topic traffic in between.

bilsch comment 2015 Dec.

The remedy for your newsgroup list problem would depend on the agent,
which wasn't mentioned. You are currently posting with WinXP Tb, which
remedy was posted Nov 6 http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?ID=144953781900

--
Mike Easter

§ñûhwØ£f

Dec 8, 2015, 12:32:07 PM12/8/15
Wow...yer still alive? Sure...eveywon knows you have to delete the
account and any folders associated with it and sign up again.

--
http://www.wolfwatcher.org
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org

Mike Easter

Dec 8, 2015, 12:47:35 PM12/8/15
snuhwolf wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> over the years I tried to put my same account on different
>>> computers. Sometimes I got the whole newsgroup list sometimes I
>>> never did no matter what I did. I always checked 'use
>>> authentication'.

>> The remedy for your newsgroup list problem would depend on the agent,
>> which wasn't mentioned. You are currently posting with WinXP Tb, which
>> remedy was posted Nov 6
>> http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?ID=144953781900
>>
> eveywon knows you have to delete the account and any folders
> associated with it and sign up again.

No.

--
Mike Easter

§nühw¤£f

Dec 9, 2015, 12:56:05 PM12/9/15

burfordTjustice

Dec 9, 2015, 1:41:38 PM12/9/15
On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 10:51:50 -0700
§nühw¤£f <snuh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 12/08/2015 10:47 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> > snuhwolf wrote:

> >> eveywon knows you have to delete the account and any folders
> >> associated with it and sign up again.
> >>
> > No.
> >

> Do too!
> Infinity.

This is not a chat group..Do you have a support question?

§nühw¤£f

Dec 9, 2015, 4:27:26 PM12/9/15
Sure, why are you still alive? If karma was REAL, you'd be a pushin up
daisies, cretin.
You single-handedly RUINED 24 hour support.

burfordTjustice

Dec 9, 2015, 4:37:20 PM12/9/15
Actually it was all Your Racist talk...
You still have nothing but name calling,
Still very weak...still using mum's laptop?

§nühw¤Łf

Dec 10, 2015, 12:19:53 PM12/10/15
burfordTjustice <burford...@hub.hob> wrote in
Are you still poasting hundreds of links to World Nut Daily and Faux
Noose?

burfordTjustice

Dec 10, 2015, 12:58:59 PM12/10/15
You should go back to school and finish primary
school so you can spell correctly and speak American
rather than Ebonics.

§nühw¤Łf

Dec 11, 2015, 12:37:25 PM12/11/15
burfordTjustice <burford...@hub.hob> wrote in
No.

JoeRaisin

Feb 27, 2016, 8:59:37 AM2/27/16
On 2/20/2012 11:05 PM, Eternal September wrote:

> * Mozilla Thunderbird
>
> Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings
> Always request authentication when connecting to this server

I have done that, but still only see the eternal-september hierarchy.

Am I missing something else?

Bit Twister

Feb 27, 2016, 9:05:51 AM2/27/16

Paul

Feb 27, 2016, 9:18:28 AM2/27/16
Then, you refresh the groups list. Pulling in the groups list,
is a kind of download. And there should be a button, to cause
the groups list to be downloaded again.

Subscribe
Unsubscribe
Refresh <---

HTH,
Paul

Mike Easter

Feb 27, 2016, 9:57:47 AM2/27/16
JoeRaisin wrote:
> Eternal September wrote:

>> Always request authentication when connecting to this server
>
> I have done that, but still only see the eternal-september hierarchy.
>
> Am I missing something else?

If the normal remedies of authentication and refresh list haven't
worked, on unusual occasions people have had to:

- go to the password manager and remove the user/pass for the account

That causes Tb to require you to input those values and offers to save them.

Very rarely some have had to remove the e-s account and re-create it
from scratch.

I also recommend using port 119 rather than a secure one.

news.eternal-september.org 119
Connection security none

--
Mike Easter

Dominic Reich

Feb 28, 2016, 5:59:05 AM2/28/16
Mike Easter <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:
> I also recommend using port 119 rather than a secure one.
>
> news.eternal-september.org 119
> Connection security none

Well, that is recommendable (well, ...) for a single-time login, to check if
its working, but try to not send your password in plaintext all the
time.

-dr

--
For an email, include the word <noblock> in subject.
"The quieter you become, the more you can hear."

Mike Easter

Feb 28, 2016, 7:43:10 AM2/28/16
Dominic Reich wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> I also recommend using port 119 rather than a secure one.
>>
>> news.eternal-september.org 119
>> Connection security none
>
> Well, that is recommendable (well, ...) for a single-time login, to
> check if its working, but try to not send your password in plaintext
> all the time.

We step into a complex area here.

Each individual should decide for themselves what level of security is
appropriate for themselves in a particular sphere.

Almost invariably, increased security increases the level of complexity
and the opportunity for something to 'break'; ergo more security, more
likelihood of breakage.

I would opine that the vast majority of usenet users do not need secure
access to their newsgroups.

Some people don't need to lock their front doors; some people don't even
need to CLOSE their front doors. Others need all kinds of continuous
strong security against penetration or mayhem.

--
Mike Easter

Dominic Reich

Feb 28, 2016, 9:53:58 AM2/28/16
Mike Easter <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:
> We step into a complex area here.
>
> Each individual should decide for themselves what level of security is
> appropriate for themselves in a particular sphere.
>
> Almost invariably, increased security increases the level of complexity
> and the opportunity for something to 'break'; ergo more security, more
> likelihood of breakage.
>
> I would opine that the vast majority of usenet users do not need secure
> access to their newsgroups.
>
> Some people don't need to lock their front doors; some people don't even
> need to CLOSE their front doors. Others need all kinds of continuous
> strong security against penetration or mayhem.

That's all true - or atleast something I agree with, but I had a bad
feeling to let this just stand there without to comment the use of a
plaintext password.

Even if someone does not need secure access to his newsgroups, some
people might use the same password somewhere else and don't think
about that in the first place.
It just increases the chance of loosing a password, or a secret word
that someone might want to use for longer than just for testing
newsgroup access.

In fact, someone might change the password to something less
important and check network access on port 119 (plain text). Change
the password back if successful.

-dr

--
For an email, include the word <noblock> in subject.
My thoughts might not always make sense ;)

Mike Easter

Feb 28, 2016, 10:26:29 AM2/28/16
Dominic Reich wrote:
> Mike Easter

> Even if someone does not need secure access to his newsgroups, some
> people might use the same password somewhere else and don't think
> about that in the first place.

Yes; sloppy password choices and management are bad practice.

I believe that many users have fallen into bad pass practices because of
the 'excessive' (number of) requirements for user/pass and the user's
inadequacy of a password management scheme.

So, instead of developing a good strategy for managing the 'excess'
number of passwords, they develop a bad strategy such as using the same
user/pass as often as they can. One might opine that that practice is
MORE common than good practices. Good practices might involve both
judicious use of 'trivial' passwords as well as a manager for strong
pass. Alternatively, a manager for everything.

> It just increases the chance of loosing a password, or a secret word
> that someone might want to use for longer than just for testing
> newsgroup access.
>
> In fact, someone might change the password to something less
> important and check network access on port 119 (plain text). Change
> the password back if successful.

Yes; the e-s site makes it trivial to change one's pass or email address
http://www.eternal-september.org/signon.php

That is a different function than the forgotten pass problem which
involves email.

--
Mike Easter

David W. Hodgins

Feb 28, 2016, 10:50:51 PM2/28/16
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 07:43:01 -0500, Mike Easter <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:

> I would opine that the vast majority of usenet users do not need secure
> access to their newsgroups.

I use nntps with news.eternal-september.org port 563, as clear text
traffic on port 119 is subject to traffic shaping somewhere between
my system and es. The port 119 traffic is given a lower priority
than port 80 traffic, so at certain times of day, the connection
usually fails, with traffic capture showing dozens of re-transmission
attempts, per packet, till it eventually drops.

I don't use it for security, just to avoid the traffic shaping.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwho...@nomail.afraid.org to davidw...@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

romi

Apr 29, 2018, 11:13:44 AM4/29/18

---
http://www.avg.com

Stephen Meech

May 7, 2021, 5:58:05 PM5/7/21
The "Feedback and questions" form doesn't work.

I attempted to send: In FAQ: "I can only see the hierarchy
eternal-september.*" it is worth noting that Thunderbird (78.8.1) only
prompts for a userid and password _after_ one has attempted to subscribe
to a newsgroup.

On 21/02/2012 04:05, Eternal September wrote:
> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy
>
> This hierarchy is open for reading and posting without
> registration. You have either forgotten to configure your client to use
> your username and password or the client does not send the user data, as
> it assumes they are not required.
>
> In this case it is necessary to force the client to send authentication
> data.
>
> The following clients are known to need explicit configuration:
>
> * Mozilla Thunderbird
>
> Tools -> Account Settings -> Server Settings
> Always request authentication when connecting to this server

Rainer Bielefeld

Sep 29, 2021, 12:57:26 AM9/29/21
Eternal September schrieb:
> I can only see the eternal-september.* hierarchy

+1

Andy Burns

Sep 29, 2021, 2:59:59 AM9/29/21
Sounds like you haven't logged in, that will cause you to see a partial group list

Within thunderbird you *must* tick the Always Request Authetication checkbox on
the e-s account

Lewis

Sep 29, 2021, 11:36:05 AM9/29/21
Then you have failed to setup authentication correctly?

--
The fact is that camels are far more intelligent than dolphins.
Footnote: Never trust a species that grins all the time. It's up

Michael Trew

Sep 30, 2021, 1:37:59 AM9/30/21
You after you tick that check box, it is more involved, if you've
already attempted to search for new groups.. the groups still won't show
up, since the program has marked them as "current groups", even though
they weren't downloaded.

The only fix that I found for this at that point was to delete the
entire Eternal September account from my Usenet reader, and reinstall.
Tick that check box *BEFORE* searching for "new groups".

George J. Dance

Feb 6, 2022, 7:41:09 PM2/6/22