A plan about etcd-operator

katsuwo_io

Nov 10, 2023, 1:03:28 AM11/10/23
to etcd-dev
Are there any plans to resume maintenance of etcd-operator or to develop a replacement operator?

James Blair

Nov 10, 2023, 7:46:19 PM11/10/23
to etcd-dev
Hi - Thanks for your question.

To the best of my knowledge there are no plans for an official updated/new etcd operator currently.

You can take a look at our etcd roadmap for the next few releases here: https://github.com/etcd-io/etcd/blob/main/Documentation/contributor-guide/roadmap.md

You're most welcome to raise an issue proposing an operator be developed as a new feature for the project, however please bear in mind we have fairly limited capacity in the project currently so need to stay very focused. If this is an area you are able to contribute towards and then maintain moving forward we would be very grateful.

Thanks
James
Message has been deleted

katsuwo_io

Nov 11, 2023, 3:05:02 AM11/11/23
to etcd-dev
Hi James. Thank you for your reply.
I'm interested in an etcd-operator as a part of management of the kubernetes control plane (kube-apiserver, etcd and more) on the kubernetes cluster.
If we have a production-ready etcd-operator, we can have a Kubernetes cluster that does not make users aware of the existence of etcd and kube-apiserver control planes.

I think this attempt is very interesting, what do you think?

2023年11月11日土曜日 9:46:19 UTC+9 ma...@jamesblair.net:

Victor Trac

Nov 15, 2023, 7:42:30 AM11/15/23
to katsuwo_io, etcd-dev
You can't have an etcd-operator without an already functional kubernetes cluster, so this seems like a chicken-and-egg problem, no?  Users are already going to have to know about etcd before kubernetes can come up.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 11:40 PM katsuwo_io <pokope...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi James. Thank you for your reply.
I'm interested in an etcd-operator as a part of management of the kubernetes control plane (kube-apiserver, etcd and more) on the kubernetes cluster.
If we have a production-ready etcd-operator, we can have a Kubernetes cluster that does not make users aware of the existence of etcd and kube-apiserver control planes.

I think this initiative is very interesting, what do you think?

2023年11月11日土曜日 9:46:19 UTC+9 ma...@jamesblair.net:
Hi - Thanks for your question.

James Blair

Nov 15, 2023, 1:29:06 PM11/15/23
to etcd-dev
Static pods can be used for the initial etcd deployment which is then orchestrated by the operator.

This is how Red Hat OpenShift bootstraps etcd for a cluster and then further orchestrates it via the cluster etcd operator once the cluster is running.

Refer:

Andrei Kvapil (kvaps)

Apr 9, 2024, 11:11:00 AMApr 9
to etcd-dev
Hey I'm happy to announce that we've initiated a group effort to create a generic, multi-purpose etcd-operator.
https://github.com/aenix-io/etcd-operator

Our development process is open, and we are discussing with sig-etcd about the possibility of making this the official version under Kubernetes-SIGs. Our goal is to bring together all potential adopters.
https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/7796