Consensus Algo

Georgii Shagov

Dec 17, 2021, 6:59:46 AM12/17/21
to etcd-dev
Hello Team!

We are thinking to adopt the technology to our project. But there is a very peculiar requirement from one of our client.
Let me say there are two data-centers (DC1, DC2, Frankfurt, Munich) where our application is installed, Let me say both instances are supposed to use etcd service to sync configuration between two each other. This practically means a cluster of etcd nodes distributed between DC1 and DC2. Both Application instances working active mode. (Actively changing/updating configuration) The client demand is that the applications should continue working even in case the connectivity between two DCs (DC1 and DC2) is lost. When the connectivity is restored the configuration data between etcd nodes should be synchronized. I understand that in general the consensus could be almost unresolvable. But may be you can suggest any hint or solution?

Thanks in advance
Yours truly, George

James

Dec 17, 2021, 1:19:37 PM12/17/21
to Georgii Shagov, etcd-dev
I'd consider learning about the raft algorithm and how it works. Here
is a nice explainer: http://thesecretlivesofdata.com/raft/ there is
also: https://runway.systems/
If you want etcd, we are using raft. You might instead want to look at CRDT's.

Thanks,
James