Towards the next 3.0

Ariya Hidayat

Oct 23, 2015, 10:24:22 AM10/23/15
to esp...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

Consider a set of certain circumstances, it is likely that we are
going to bump the major version of the latest Esprima development
branch. In the short term, the goal is to have a 3.0 release that
focuses on the two following objectives.

The first is modularization. With the code growth over the last 3
years, it is evident that it is hard to keep track of everything with
the current monolithic approach. Hence, the plan is to split the code
into a suitable set of modules. On top of that, the hitherto feature
growth also increases the code complexity. To boost its readability
and to have an improved safeguard against unintentional mistakes, we
will also start to switch to TypeScript.

Another big theme is interoperability. During the implementation of
ES2015 (aka ES6) support, we discover some unintended
incompatibilities with the de-fact AST format, ESTree. This major
version bump is an opportunity to break this backward compatibility so
that the AST produced by Esprima is aligned again with ESTree.

If you have some questions regarding this transition, feel free to ask
them. In the mean time, monitor the official Git repository
(https://github.com/jquery/esprima) to track further development.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

--