territorial names

Universero, Trio

Dec 8, 2020, 11:41:01 PM12/8/20
to Stanford Esperanto
Salutojn!

At tonight's discussion group we were discussing how to say
"Governor". I don't think i was totally useless by saying
"guberniestro". We, at least here in usono, like the fact that they
both start with "g".

But i found a definition of "gubernio" = "Administra teritorio de
regno, malpli vasta ol provinco kaj pli vasta ol kantono" -> "An
Administrative territory of some realm smaller than a province but
larger than a canton". !

So, the bottom line is that there are historical distinctions made
in different cultures, and they don't translate exactly or sometimes
even in the same relative order! If you use words like "ŝtatestro", at
least people will get the general idea. When visiting a different
cultural territory (like a group near your home town, or when
traveling) it's good to study a bit of cultural history so that you're
ready for these kinds of relativistic terms.

Ĉion bonan!

--
trio <=> 三人 <=> http://trio.sen.limo/
#Esperanto , The International Language! What's that? http://Esperanto.Org/

Bill Stivers

Dec 9, 2020, 1:02:31 AM12/9/20
to esperanto...@googlegroups.com
Ĥaĥa!!  Do:

(Bv. perdonu mian fiksperantaĉon :) )

Gubernio estas arkaika vorto, artefakto de la fakto ke Esperanto estis kreintita en la cara Rusio!

Mi suspektas ke via fonto por tiu difino estas ...meh. :)

Haha!! So:

Gubernio is an archaic word, an artifact of the fact that Esperanto was created in Tsarist Russia.

I suspect that the source of your definition is "meh". :)

--B

Shamalah-Allah

Dec 9, 2020, 12:44:55 PM12/9/20
to esperanto...@googlegroups.com