I suppose i should create a bespoke blog.

Universero, Trio

Jul 3, 2020, 1:21:21 PM7/3/20
to Stanford Esperanto
Salutojn!

In my never-ending quest to understand the universe, i often need
to understand what i read. I read English and Esperanto. Here's an
example of a word that i keep reading and who's meaning changes
depending on when and where the word was used.

In today's headline story "Police ‘Crack’ EncroChat Encryption,
Resulting In Hundreds Of Arrests", i found the following: "UK law
enforcement has made a massive breakthrough in the fight against
serious and organised crime after the takedown of a bespoke encrypted
global communication service used exclusively by criminals..."
https://www.silicon.co.uk/mobility/mobile-apps/police-crack-encrochat-encryption-hundreds-arrests-346164

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bespoke : "The word
bespoke has evolved from a verb meaning 'to speak for something' to
its contemporary usage as an adjective that has changed from
describing first tailor-made suits and shoes, and later, anything
commissioned to a particular specification (altered or tailored to the
customs, tastes, or usage of an individual purchaser), and finally to
a general marketing and branding concept implying exclusivity and
limited runs."

My problem is with the word "finally" in Wikipedia's description. :)

People have a problem with Esperanto when our words don't change
(rigid, out-of-date and therefore "out of touch"), and when they do
change (untrustworthy, inconsistent). English obviously changes, but
the vast majority of users of the language just shrug... it's out of
their control.

So, is it better to have a system that allows for (even encourages)
change in a consistent manner, or one where you just have to look up a
word and know where and when it was used? If you've been coming to my
classes you've heard me say (over and over :) that this isn't a
complaint against natural language. This is just another reason i love
Esperanto's attempt at least, to be a little less confusing, and
simpler to learn and use.

Ĉion bonan!

--
trio <=> 三人 <=> http://trio.sen.limo/
#Esperanto , The International Language! What's that? http://Esperanto.Org/

Andrea Monticue

Jul 3, 2020, 1:23:31 PM7/3/20
to esperanto...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Language is an organic, evolving thing.

julie spickler

Jul 3, 2020, 3:03:03 PM7/3/20
to esperanto...@googlegroups.com
La mondo sxangxas, vortoj sangxas . . . sed laux mi, plej bone peni teni vortojn plejparte sen ne-necesaj sxangxoj.  Trio certe bone scias, ke en lia kampo (komputiloj). oni kreas novajn vortojnl aux neceso; Dreah, vi ankaux konas ke en la aviadila kampo, novaj vortoj estis kreitaj laux neceso.  Sed la evoluo de la lingo devus (en mia opinio) ne estu tiel rapida aux inventema, ke igxos ne komprenebla al nespertuloj.  Al mi, nin ne bezonas novan signifon por "bespoke" -- Kial ne diri "usanta-limigita" aux alia mallonga dirajxo?

Andrea Monticue

Jul 3, 2020, 3:08:56 PM7/3/20
to esperanto...@googlegroups.com
Bonaj punktoj, Julie!