ESP8266 HW requirements and exception 28

SoCalDude

Jan 11, 2018, 7:10:35 PM1/11/18
to esp-open-rtos mailing list
I am new to this SDK and I am struggling to understand the HW requirements. I have been searching high and low for this error at no avail. I have two NodeMCU based boards, where one works and the other throws exception 28.  From understanding, the boards should be very similar.

This device works:
NodeMCU V3 LoLin
Manufacturer: e0
Device: 4016

This device fails:
Geekcreit NodeMcu
Manufacturer: c8
Device: 4016
I have several of these boards and some say ESP8266MOD and others say 2AL3B-ESP-F. None of them works.

The error I get on the second board:
Fatal exception (28):
epc1=0x4000228b, epc2=0x00000000, epc3=0x00000000, excvaddr=0x000000b5, depc=0x00000000

My understanding is that exception 28 is a memory exception (working outside valid range).
Can anyone point me to documentation that can help me shed some light on whats wrong.

SoCalDude

Jan 12, 2018, 7:53:36 PM1/12/18
to esp-open-rtos mailing list

Sigh, maybe more users would have success with the SDK if you used default values accepted by most devices:
# Flash mode, valid values are same as for esptool.py - qio,qout,dio.dout

FLASH_MODE ?= qio

I suggest changing this to dio