esos-4.0.12 not writing files to usb

robertl...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2022, 12:55:24 PM10/27/22
to esos-users
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere and I just didn't see it.  I am trying to create the ESOS USB drive in Windows 10.  When running the install.vbs on it's own it would fail at the diskpart section.  So I ran diskpart and cleaned my USB drive and ran the install.vbs again.  This time diskpart succeeded and the script says "It appears the image was successfully written to disk (check for error messages)!".  I am running everything in CMD admin mode  There is no files on the USB drive at all?  Thanks in advance for your help.
Thanks,
Rob

Marc Smith

Oct 28, 2022, 11:29:30 AM10/28/22
to esos-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

It's been a while since I have personally used the "install.vbs"
script in Windows. After manually clearing the USB drive and running
the script, it sounds like it completed successfully -- does it boot
like this? I wouldn't expect Windows to be able to read the Linux file
systems, so if you're just looking at it using Windows Explorer it may
appear empty.

--Marc

robertl...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2022, 12:15:26 PM10/28/22
to esos-users
Hey Marc,

No, it does not boot at all.  The esos-3.x.x versions work on the same key and boot with no issues, so I know the key is good.  Would I be best to boot up Ubuntu Live and and try and build the key using the install.sh script?

Thanks,
Rob

Marc Smith

Oct 28, 2022, 12:27:11 PM10/28/22
to esos-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, my guess is it's something in the 4.x image layout (partition
sizes are a bit different, etc.). Any debugging / fixes you could
provide would be greatly appreciated.

--Marc
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/esos-users/aa925da8-f6f1-4abe-a8cd-177b0a43d56bn%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

robertl...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2022, 3:37:32 PM11/1/22
to esos-users
Good afternoon Marc,

I tried running the install.sh script in a Ubuntu Live system and the script would just hang at the "Writing......: this may take a while" location.  It sat there for about 15 minutes or so and no activity on the USB drive.  So I built a raid 6 on my PERC H700 and a volume of 12GB for the ESOS install, then the remaining for the block storage for ESXi.  I then booted up Ubuntu Live again and ran the install.sh.  Everything worked great doing it that way.  Is there any issues with running ESOS this way?

Thanks,
Rob