AIX/VIOS MPIO

marcin steć

Jan 28, 2024, 2:06:52 PMJan 28
to esos-users
Hi!
I'm connecting my VIOS (which is actually AIX ) to ESOS. I presented my LUN (backing device is LV) via two paths. AIX sees two PVs instead of one PV with two paths.

On other side I was quite successful running Linux in multipath setup with ESOS. The difference is that Linux had "file" backend". Does it make  difference, or i should look elsewhere?

I tried to set up missing path manually but got this response:

```
root@behemot-v1:/ # lsdev -l hdisk0 -F parent
fscsi0
root@behemot-v1:/ # lsdev -l hdisk1 -F parent
fscsi2
root@behemot-v1:/ # mkpath -p fscsi0 -l hdisk1
mkpath: 0514-538 Cannot perform the requested function because the
        specified device does not support multiple paths.
```

Indeed, `lsattr -El hdiskX` returns no `reserve_policy` attribute for ESOS LUNs

Regards,
Marcin

Marc Smith

Jan 30, 2024, 8:58:14 AMJan 30
to esos-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 2:06 PM marcin steć <stece...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm connecting my VIOS (which is actually AIX ) to ESOS. I presented my LUN (backing device is LV) via two paths. AIX sees two PVs instead of one PV with two paths.
>
> On other side I was quite successful running Linux in multipath setup with ESOS. The difference is that Linux had "file" backend". Does it make difference, or i should look elsewhere?

I think using the vdisk_* handlers should be sufficient, and file vs.
block device back-end shouldn't matter. If you have a raw SCSI disk
device, it may be interesting to try using the dev_disk handler and
see if that helps. I have zero experience using AIX.

> I tried to set up missing path manually but got this response:
>
> ```
> root@behemot-v1:/ # lsdev -l hdisk0 -F parent
> fscsi0
> root@behemot-v1:/ # lsdev -l hdisk1 -F parent
> fscsi2
> root@behemot-v1:/ # mkpath -p fscsi0 -l hdisk1
> mkpath: 0514-538 Cannot perform the requested function because the
> specified device does not support multiple paths.
> ```
>
> Indeed, `lsattr -El hdiskX` returns no `reserve_policy` attribute for ESOS LUNs

I would check out the scst-devel list -- there may be others that talk
of using AIX initiator w/ SCST target.

--Marc