What tells you more about a person's personality:

pln471

Dec 3, 2010, 6:38:49 AM12/3/10
to ESL Podcast Study Group
Dear all,

Let's get the ball rolling again by replying to this question of mine:

What tells you more about a person's personality:

1 their appearance

2 their voice

3 their attitude

4 or something else?

How useful do you think the following are for judging a person's
character?

1 personality tests

2 handwriting analysis

3 star signs/horoscopes

4 interviews

Thank you in advance for participating in such writing exercises as a
way for me and other members old and new to get to know you!

Great weekend to you all!:-)

Pauline A.K.A.(also known as) PLN

Andre Barbosa

Dec 3, 2010, 5:08:50 PM12/3/10
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi teacher!

The first question, my answer could be 3, but I think It´s 4, because it  would be "attitupe +  time". Personality is a average of attitudes plus time, I try not to think anything about someone befroe a preriod of convivence. (Well, I confess sometimes I didn´t wait, but its not the smaller choice)

For second one, It´s difficult to fake an interview . Of course It depends so good is the  interviewer, but the method is the best. I don´t believe in horoscopes, you know.. hehe.. :)

See ya

Charles

Dec 4, 2010, 8:52:04 AM12/4/10
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi dear

What's the difference of personality and character?
I think they are all habits, which can change.

And I hate people judge others from their handwriting analysis because
I hate it ...

shan

Dec 5, 2010, 2:30:33 AM12/5/10
to ESL Podcast Study Group
Hi
iam new to this group.....anyway

according to me...

Personality is something "External".
you look, dress, bodymovement....etc

Character is something " Internal"
when you speak every thing comes outside....
the way you talk and what do you speak.... how do u answer ....etc
how do you deal with others
makes your character.

thanx
shan
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

On Dec 4, 3:52 pm, Charles <huixin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi dear
>
> What's the difference of personality and character?
> I think they are all habits, which can change.
>
> And I hate people judge others from their handwriting analysis because

Charles

Dec 7, 2010, 10:34:48 AM12/7/10
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi shan

Your reply is quiet easy to understand.

I think, some time , we need more patient to understand a person.
We use "personality" and "character" for a quick judgement of a person.

If we understand a person and encourage their good "personality"and
"character", they will show us good ones.

Best regards
Charles

briana moore

Dec 10, 2010, 7:56:19 AM12/10/10
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Let's get the ball rolling again by replying to this question of mine:

Q. What tells you more about a person's personality:

A. I feel that it is not apt to make an opinion about a person
instantly or a short period of time. Also, I don't like getting very
close or friendly with someone quickly.
Good things come to those who wait ...

Q. How useful do you think the following are for judging a person's
character?

A. None of the above is very useful . . . LOL

thanks and a nice weekend to all of you too....

briana

SIMONE AVNISHA

Dec 11, 2010, 6:38:07 AM12/11/10
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hii Dear Pln,

U've really set the ball rolling!!!!!

Well ,I think that the attitude n appearance of a person can give U an insight into a person's personality .........
 As for the second q's no matter how many tests u go for but not one is perfect but yes they help thru their dimension or style of judging.N I like to go for interviews or meetings as they give U a chance to talk to d person n that I think is best.

take care ...........

Simone.

Simone.... :)

pln471

Dec 15, 2010, 7:10:56 PM12/15/10
to ESL Podcast Study Group
Hello Andre Charles Shan Briana Simone and all,

I myself like to look straight in someone's eyes at the very first
encounter,and within seconds automatically form an overall impression
of him/her.
In real time situations,I get to see their faces,their outfits,their
accesories and quickly I know if that person is neat and if with good
taste.
When they smile and talk,I get to hear their voices,and when they
speak,I can tell if they are sincere,open,shy or impatient.

Usually by the time we start to engage in conversations and begin
exchanging personal data,I already know if I would like to see him/her
again...
I usually obseve them while sounding them out.By asking straight and
sometimes stupid questions,I can tell more of their personalities by
the reactions they give me.:P

As for the second question,you should already know what my answer will
be...
I am a curious cat and I find MINDS are the most intriguing place for
me to exlpore!!!
So everything counts when it comes to getting to know someone new...
I read as much as possible after or before meeting them if it's
possible to do some ground work before,I always make sure I do...
What to read?
Numerology,
Chinese/Western horoscopes,
Handwriting
Palm reading
Origin of the names
Silly and cute psychological tests/quizes

But at the end and most of all,I trust my own intuition when something
bothers me about that person...
Maybe too open,too eager,too hesitant,too arrogant...:P

Thanks for your feedbacks and good night!
Pauline
> Simone.... :)- Hide quoted text -

rebeca alonso

Jan 20, 2011, 12:52:47 PM1/20/11
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
hi eslpodcsast, I think personality is achieved many components , like -  hair, clothes and body language. Now the way we speak, specially English as a second language is another way to express our personality, even within an accent  makes it even interesting since we can add a dash of personality when speaking the language , at the time, to speak it we shape it the way we can because for some of us the native accent for English does not from any  innate form . so what do you think ?
thank you.

Charles

Feb 3, 2011, 1:22:35 PM2/3/11
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
What tells you more about a person's personality:

1 their appearance

2 their voice

3 their attitude

4 or something else?

How we judge a person in a short time?

First, It's their appearance. How we feel about a person at first meeting.
Second, We see how their attitude is. Then decide if we suppose to
make a conversation.
Third, Do we like their voice?
Last but not least, What is their value system is? How do they believe
and how do they think the world is.

Dipodidae

Feb 6, 2011, 10:20:49 AM2/6/11
to ESL Podcast Study Group
What tells you more about a person's personality:
1 their appearance
2 their voice
3 their attitude
4 or something else?
How useful do you think the following are for judging a person's
character?
1 personality tests
2 handwriting analysis
3 star signs/horoscopes
4 interviews

My opinion is that, behavior in emergency could say all about people.
Words, opinion in different questions tells me about my opponent.

Let's me avoid judging) Everybody has right to have awful or kind
character.

Krysber

Feb 7, 2011, 4:28:37 PM2/7/11
to ESL Podcast Study Group
Hello everyone,

I must admit that some of my feelings are very sad - cause we often
(too often !) assess another person by his appearance, voice or so
called the first impressions. There are in many cases very misleading
factors, so why should we do it ?

Actually, some of above mentioned features can say something, e.g
neglected clothes may show a little about personal attitude to the
taste of order and cleaniless, but we can not forget there are only
external qualities - they are only covering.
Finally, I agree with an Dipodidae opinion - extremal situations are
able to say more about real people personality than the best
psychological tests or the most complicated handwriting analysis.
Regards,

pln471

Feb 10, 2011, 3:31:55 PM2/10/11
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Kysber,Misha,Ed,Charles,Simone,Rebeca,Briana,Andre,Shan and all,

Long time no see!I hope all is well with familair and unknown faces here!
First of all,congratualtions on 800 members since the creation of this special and friendly group!!!:-)
Though I seem to come less often,it still holds a special place in my heart...since Ed,Pablo,Misha,Simone,Briana,Claire,Andre,Charles,Jason,Jane,Vera,Ali,Edward,Serdar,Immanuel,Kysber and so many more I can't name all have been my dear old friends...

Misha and I met in where I have been living for the last 4 years last September for as short as 2 days...;-)
Kysber is one unique ex-student of mine though we seldom keep in touch...

Back to the topics,
Well,ss a curious cat like myself,I apply as many approaches as I can when it comes to sounding someone out.
When you keep an open mind,your intuitions can tell you a lot in a split second if you can trust the person you meet in less than 3 minutes' time.
Don't get me wrong,it isn't just 'judging a book by its cover',but on second thought,if you don't know that person well,how is it possible not to judge him/her by his/her appreance,outfit,personal belongings/accessories?
Then while exchanging small talks,how not to form your opinions of him/her when he speaks with an either soft or firm tone of voice,an energetic or lazy way of speaking?
Then how not to know if he/she is either introvert or extrovert if he/she doesn't look you in the eyes and avoid eye contact?

According to recent surveys,an interviewer decides in the first 5 minutes if the candidate will be hired and the rest of the interview is for him/her to find justifications as how to persude his fellow managers why he/she decides to hire such candidate...

I found one article from Polish "Business English" monthly magazine and began using it as class materials for different business groups titled "LIE DETECTOR" in section,Consumer Skills.

The quesions asked in my thread here have to go back to the very ancient and solid quesion:

1 Why do people lie?How to detect lies from others' appearance,outfits,voices,handwriting,written e-mails,etc???

2  How much do you trust yourself and others?

 Do you think you can be honest/open as well as polite?

The above mentioned are what I asked my students in business English group to think about before our next week's class...

Would you dare to tell me your own theories?:P

Good night to you all,
Pauline

wyzb325

Feb 11, 2011, 12:02:28 PM2/11/11
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pln and all,
about "why  do people lie?" ,  I remember when I was young,my mum didn't allow me to  eat choclate for bad tooth,so I always tell her I never eat despite the tell-tale chocolate paste all over my mouth. so I think ,wether we r children or adult, mostly,our reasons for lying are same: to get out of trouble,to make ourselves better in eyes of other,to protect ourselves and for personal gain. and in addition,I find people who lie more have many friends,of course,not all of this friends are his/her favourite,but we could not deny a detail that his/her higher order thinking.
for" how to decet lie...",i think ,if a person who is lying to u,he/she will avoid making eye contact. Err,this is only my experience,hoping everyone freely exchange ideas.
good night to all,
Vera
--- 11年2月11日,周五, pln471 <pln...@gmail.com> 写道:

发件人: pln471 <pln...@gmail.com>
主题: [ESL Podcast] Re: What tells you more about a person's personality:
收件人: eslpo...@googlegroups.com
日期: 2011年2月11日,周五,上午4:31

Andre Barbosa

Feb 11, 2011, 4:27:09 PM2/11/11
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

Vera´s definition why people lie was perfect to me. I add just one note: much times they lie just because they are bad, only.

About second one, trust is proportional to time and importance. The trust in someone who make some work to me is differente to trust in someone that gonna married to me. In fact, I do not trust easily.

And 3), I am think last months (you know, don´t you, i`m thinking so much LOL) that in some environments we simply CAN´T be honest all the time, or we won´t survive. I Know people that are honest and polite but... I always suspect.

See ya

Krysber

Feb 14, 2011, 3:03:54 PM2/14/11
to ESL Podcast Study Group

Hi,
It is hard to fully agree with the Andre's opinion - I strongly want
to believe that people are not bad, in priciple. People only behave
bad in certain circumstances; besides this is one advise which is
given by psychologists to the parents - it is not proper to say that
our children are bad, they only sometimes behave badly.
According to my experiences people lie in order to get something (to
gain some benefits); sometimes the value to gain is the respect of
other people, the liking, the love; also in professional life lying is
unfortunlately one of the survive strategies.
The trust to others depends on circumstances, life experiences, the
essence of the particular cases. There are some situations we can give
the trust to others nad despite we often rely on ourselves, we can not
forget people are created for the life in herds and we are not able
lonely to achieve as difficult aims, as we can manage to reach
jointly, with the others help.
Answering the last question - it is very well to look at the mirror
with the internal peace without any disgust, that is s way I'd like to
keep on.
See you,
Krysber

Andre Barbosa

Feb 15, 2011, 4:55:37 PM2/15/11
to eslpo...@googlegroups.com
Well... people behave bad, then they lie. I just take a shortcut. :)