Switch to 512 bits RSA encryption?

Ken Friesen

Jun 25, 2009, 7:18:56 AM6/25/09
to ESCAPE Discussions
Hi,

I've been working on an alternative java "client" for Escape based on
Apache Commons Configuration.

I've hit a major road block in trying to decrypt RSA encrypted
properties in Java. It seems the problem is that the JCE doesn't allow
keys with less than 512 bits (because these keys are to easy to break
I imagine). I've looked into using alternate cryptography libraries
(Bouncy Castle, Commons-SSL, keyczar) but I keep hitting the same
issue with the size of the private key.

As I've had no problems doing cryptography with RSA keys of 512 bits
(I've tested that locally), I suggest that we switch to 512 bits (or
more?) encryption on the Escape server. I can add a story/issue in
Escape if everyone is OK with that. I've had a look at the ruby code
and I see where the change has to be made but I'm a novice at Ruby and
can't figure out how to get useful documentation for the Ruby SSL
Library so I wouldn't mind if someone either paired with me or took on
this story/issue.

Cheers,

Ken