escape, CITCON and a new UI?

mchadwick

Apr 28, 2009, 8:54:24 AM4/28/09
to ESCAPE Discussions
I like how you grouped the search results.

I'll got some time tonight to take a pass at it... we'll see how it
goes.

- Matt

Capturing the rest of the email thread here for reference.

Chris:

Very pretty...

Dudes - can I request that we move this thread to the Discussion Group
(http://groups.google.com/group/escservesconfig-discuss)? Makes it
easier to track than notes ;)

I put some basic user management and ownership stuff into the UI last
night, am planning on working on turning on the UI encryption today
(I've got some long train rides at the moment). Would love to get some
feedback on these as well...

Tom:

Dude!

That looks frickin' awesome! We welcome all contributions, especially
awesome UI ones. :)

Matthew - I've added your gmail to the Google Code project.

Rolf:

You guys will be happy to hear that escape came up in a couple
conversations during CITCON. Bobby Norton was doing an especially
good job of drumming up support and giving out the URL.

Matt Chadwick and I spend a bunch of time brainstorming and we have
come up with a potential alternate UI. The basic paradigm is to do a
text search to find a list of both environments/applications and then
select one of those to drill into. If you select an environment you
get a list of the applications in the environment and can expand/
contract each one to see the properties. If you choose an application
you get the corresponding list of environments that app appears in and
can expand/contract each one to see the application's properties in
that environment.

In the end I think that usability will be a real deal breaker for this
app. The common use cases will need to be very quick and very easy or
adoption will be hard. I've attached a version of the UI we put
together. Take a look and tell us what you think. Matt is going to
look at implementing this this week. If it works well maybe we can
contribute it.

Chris Read

Apr 28, 2009, 9:32:41 AM4/28/09
to ESCAPE Discussions
Excellent, thanks Matt

I've pushed in my first cut of the encryption and authorization UI
bits as well, so you'll have a good base to work on. I was planning on
doing another release tonight to get some feedback on how it all
works. How long do you think it will take you to have something ready?

Chris

On Apr 28, 1:54 pm, mchadwick <matthew.chadw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like how you grouped the search results.
>
> I'll got some time tonight to take a pass at it... we'll see how it
> goes.
>
> - Matt
>
> Capturing the rest of the email thread here for reference.
>
> Chris:
>
> Very pretty...
>
> Dudes - can I request that we move this thread to the Discussion Group
> (http://groups.google.com/group/escservesconfig-discuss)?Makes it

Bobby Norton

Apr 28, 2009, 12:53:16 PM4/28/09
to ESCAPE Discussions
Continuous and automated deployment were big themes at CITCON MSP.
Once you get past the why's and start talking about the how's, where
to store configuration settings quickly comes up as a challenge.
Someone mentioned the importance of testing that the right settings
would be received in the production environment. I think a service-
based approach like ESC could help here; someone could deploy an
application stub to production that would pull down all the production
settings as a quick sanity check before deployment. While this might
not be the most likely point of failure, it would be one less thing to
have to worry about. Have any of you ever done anything like this?

~/Bobby

Bobby Norton

Apr 28, 2009, 12:44:30 PM4/28/09
to escservesco...@googlegroups.com
Continuous and automated deployment were big themes at CITCON MSP. Once you get past the why's and start talking about the how's, where to store configuration settings quickly comes up as a challenge. Someone mentioned the importance of testing that the right settings would be received in the production environment. I think a service-based approach like ESC could help here; someone could deploy an application stub to production that would pull down all the production settings as a quick sanity check before deployment. While this might not be the most likely point of failure, it would be one less thing to have to worry about. Have any of you ever done anything like this?

~/Bobby

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and proprietary and otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, do not read, duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please immediately delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail or any attachments. The DRW Companies make no representations that this e-mail or any attachments are free of computer viruses or other defects. -----Original Message-----

Tom Sulston

Apr 28, 2009, 1:01:41 PM4/28/09
On 28 Apr 2009, at 18:53, Bobby Norton wrote:

> Continuous and automated deployment were big themes at CITCON MSP.
> Once you get past the why's and start talking about the how's, where
> to store configuration settings quickly comes up as a challenge.
> Someone mentioned the importance of testing that the right settings
> would be received in the production environment. I think a service-
> based approach like ESC could help here; someone could deploy an
> application stub to production that would pull down all the production
> settings as a quick sanity check before deployment. While this might
> not be the most likely point of failure, it would be one less thing to
> have to worry about. Have any of you ever done anything like this?

Sort of. We wrote a status page that checked all of the touch points
in the system. Testing the config pre-deployment didn't go further
than checking that we had a sane value for each key, though. So you'd
still have to do a deployment to check that the values were good, but
it would quickly show you the broken ones.

Tom.