Five Categories of Blocks

1 view

Sanko

Aug 21, 2011, 9:56:39 AM8/21/11
to eSAITF
In my most recent blog post I identify five categories of blocks in
ITF Taekwon-Do. Here is the summary:

"It is possible to group blocks into a dichotomy of hard blocks and
soft blocks. Although sometimes useful, this proves to be a too
simplistic view of the ways blocking techniques are used in ITF
Taekwon-Do. Instead, a more nuanced differentiation group blocks into
five categories: (1) offensive-blocks, (2) deflections or parries, (3)
diversions, (4) disequilibriums or unbalancing-blocks, and (5)
obstructions or checking blocks. Offensive-blocks aim to injure the
opponent's attacking limb. Parries deflect the attacking limb off
course by bumping into them at an angle, which changes the trajectory.
Diversion-blocks guide the attacking limb off course, often at a
curve. Disequilibriums focus on breaking the balance of the opponent.
Finally, checking blocks put a barrier in the path of the attack and
so literally block or obstruct the way of the attack."

You can read the whole post here: http://sooshimkwan.blogspot.com/2011/08/blocking-in-itf-taekwon-do.html

Please remember that opinions I hold does not by default reflect that
of the SA-ITF Technical Directorate. These are just some of the things
I've come up with during my personal research, which I think you may
find interesting.

Regards,

Sanko