Martial Arts Over 40

SooShim Kwan

Apr 17, 2012, 11:31:19 PM4/17/12
to eSAITF
I'm in the middle of my 30s and am quite surprised that nobody ever
told me how much this time of ones life resembles adolescense! Without
any forewarning, it can be quite traumatic. You go through another
phase of change. You discover new hair where there used to be none,
and then you start to lose hair where you once had plenty. And just
when you thought you are thoroughly settled into your body, your body
starts to complain with new and quite unexpected aches and pains. I
remember when I was 19 I could slide into the splits with practically
no warm up. How things have changed! Why didn't anybody tell me so
that I could have prepared emotionally for the transition? One reader
of eSAITF recently sent me a message. "I moarn my youth," he said.

Many people fear that they may have to give up the martial arts, since
their bodies do not seem to have the same goal. Luckily, the martial
arts need not be given up at all. In fact, this time of life where you
have settled into a career and a slower pace may actually open up the
time for some people who had always wanted to take up a martial art,
but never had the time.

I recently started to correspond with another ITF Taekwon-Do blogger
and he told me of a new resource he started, aimed at martial artists
over 40. Make sure to visit his website: http://martialartsover40.com/

If any of you, like myself, that are starting to feel the effects of a
more mature physique have any tips or suggestions for the eSAITF
community, please do share!

Cheers,

Sanko