Three "Martial Arts"

1 view

Sanko

Dec 29, 2010, 2:14:59 AM12/29/10
to eSAITF
Did you know that in Korean there are three ways to say "martial art"?
In my latest post at the Soo Shim Kwan blog I discuss the three
expressions moosool, mooye and moodo, and explain how each of these
denotes a different level in your martial art journey.

The first focusses on the fighting skills, i.e. the actual techniques,
you learn. The second implies a mastery of the techniques so that you
can apply them in a creative, improvised fashion, and the last is
based on the philosophical idea of the DO or "way" -- and suggest a
type of asceticism, where the martial arts becomes a way of life
through which you can glimpse at the "way of the universe."

Read more here: http://sooshimkwan.blogspot.com/2010/12/moosool-mooye-and-moodo.html

Regards,

Sanko