Knife Attack Myths

Sanko

Oct 8, 2010, 12:02:38 AM10/8/10
to eSAITF
We've spoken about knife defences on this forum before, but it is
always good to revisit some topics.

Here's an interesting video contrasting real knife attacks versus what
is often taught in self-defence programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLRmtTbNWe0&feature

Thoughts?

Regards,

Sanko

Carl Joubert

Oct 8, 2010, 5:23:50 AM10/8/10
to esa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sabum Sanko

Interesting video, even if though looks a bit like an advert for Krav Maga.

I also found the comments by other viewers insightful, particularly the discussion around different techniques, and the, by now old and boring, traditional martial art versus modern combat system debate.

Based on what I saw, and the little that I now about knife defence, awareness of when where the attack will come counts for about 95% of your ability to successfully defend against it.

If the attack is expected, then there are a variety techniques that may be used to defend yourself, including some tought in the "less practical" traditional martial arts.
My personal choice would be to run away.

If however you don't se the knife coming, then no amount of Israeli special forces training is going to be of much use to you.

I'm not discounting the importance of technique. I do feel however that the problem with some traditional martial arts, in terms of practicality, is not so much a problem of technique, but lies in the inability of many practitioners to see past the abstraction and see where the techniques they were tought fit into the real world.

One last thing. An important thing mentioned in the video is that when learning to defend against a weapon, one must know how the weapon is most likely to be used.

Regards

Carl

Sanko

Oct 10, 2010, 10:47:40 PM10/10/10
to eSAITF
Hi Carl,

Indeed, what comes before the actual attack is probably the most
neglected, but most important part of self-defence training. A violent
encounter seldom happens haphazardly. It happens within a context that
those with the appropriate awareness and knowledge can avoid.

A really good resource is Marc MacYoung and Diana Gordon MacYoung's
material on

Five Stages of Violent Crime: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/five_stages.html
Pyramid of Safety: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/pyramid.html

I prefer how their "Pyramid of Safety" was edited into "Layers of
Safety" by South Africa's Urban Shield group:
http://www.urbanshield.za.net/a08_layersofsafety.html

I've found the "Five Stages of Violent Crime" and "Layers of Safety"
so important that I've made it a part of the theory requirements for
my students as part of their self-defence training.

General Choi spoke about strategy being an important part of Taekwon-
Do. In a Civilian Defence System (the way we usually train for ITF
Taekwon-Do in South Africa), I believe the above resources are
excellently fitted for our purpose.

Speaking of Civilian Defence System, the term was coined by a South
African Karate master, Bob Davies. I've communicated with two of
Master Davies' students about this concept and must say it is a
profoundly practical view of considering the martial arts for us
normal people that train in martial arts for self-defence purposes,
rather than military combat purposes or doing martial arts only as a
sport. It was my intention to visit with Master Davies when I was in
Durban earlier this year, but time and opportunity didn't allow. Maybe
I'll get the opportunity to do so early next year when I'll visit
Natal again.

Dan Djurdjevic, a previous student of Master Davies, does a good job
of explain the idea of a Civilian Defense System here:
http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com/2008/08/civilian-defence-and-traditional.html

I actually got permission from Mr Djurdjevic to use this article in an
issue of The Sidekick.

Charl, thank you for reminding us of the importance of awareness in
self-defence and reminding me of some of these resources on helping us
to improve such awareness.

Regards,

Sanko