More on the Wave Principle and Sine Wave Motion

Sanko

Sep 11, 2010, 11:25:31 AM9/11/10
to eSAITF
Three posts on the Soo Shim Kwan blog:

THE WAVE PRINCIPLE

In my previous post I emphasized that one should understand the
difference between the sine wave motion and the wave principle on
which it is based; however I did not expand much on what the wave
principle is. On the Soo Shim Kwan blog I expanded more on the wave
principle.

I mention how the wave principle is sometimes referred to as the
circle principle, depending on the martial art. The sine wave and a
circle are closely related. A sine wave is basically a point on a
circle plotted over a path. In the post "The Wave Principle" on my
blog I've embedded some pictures and videos that illustrate this.

http://sooshimkwan.blogspot.com/2010/09/wave-principle.html

SINE WAVE IN AIKIDO

I also mentioned in this and the previous post that the wave principle
is not unique to ITF Taekwon-Do. In one post on my blog I've embedded
two videos of an Aikido session in which the instructor explains
Aikido's "Waveform". While watching it you can see the similar down-up-
down "sine wave motion" applied.

SINE WAVE MOTION = KARATE'S LINEAR MOVEMENT + TAEKKYEON'S BOBBING
MOVEMENT

In the last post I've embedded three videos, one of Shotokan Karate,
one of Taekkyeon, and lastly one of ITF Taekwon-Do. For each I give
some hints so that you know what to look for, and in so doing the
formula above is easily grasped.

http://sooshimkwan.blogspot.com/2010/09/sine-wave-motion-linear-karate-movement.html