SOCIS deadline for students is today

Juan Luis Cano

May 31, 2017, 4:08:34 AM5/31/17
to esa-socis
Hello all,

If I understand correctly, the deadline for student applications for SOCIS is today:

https://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2017/?q=timeline

I'm sure that the students reading this already know, but I wanted to send a gentle reminder just in case.

Also, I guess the coding period will formally start as soon as the selection of the students is made, which I guess will take at least one day and therefore might be later than June 1st. It's still unclear to me if the end of the coding period will be August 31st nonetheless (apart from the arrangement that each student and project make) or rather we should count three months from the start, so we will wait for the official confirmation coming soon.

Best luck to all the students! Kind regards,

Christopher Sean Morrison

Jun 1, 2017, 8:54:29 AM6/1/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com

Given the late green-light, is that deadline still true?  With the uncertainty and late start, I know several students that are working on a proposal that could use another week to finish up their proposal write-ups.

I think the suggestion to simply count tree months from the start, whenever that is, is an excellent suggestion.

Cheers!
Sean

Juan Luis Cano

Jun 5, 2017, 5:17:49 AM6/5/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Dear ESA,

I acknowledge that this programme is in a way a "gift" and I already feel bad for taking anything for granted, but the expectations are very high and the students already devoted their summer time to code for SOCIS, in some cases giving up other projects, so in my humble opinion I think we deserve some sort of clarification of what is going on and when are we going to start. I can only speak for myself but right now I prefer bad news to no news.

Kind regards,

Juan Luis Cano

Maxime Perrotin

Jun 5, 2017, 7:42:23 AM6/5/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
The applications are being reviewed now, the start date for the coding period will be hopefully on 15th June - and shifted accordingly in september for students who can.

I can't get news from the contractual side today as this is public holidays in the Netherlands but all approvals are there and there should be no more major delays now.

Maxime

Juan Luis Cano

Jun 5, 2017, 8:11:39 AM6/5/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks for the update Maxime - we will wait for the final notice on June 15th then.

Regards,

Juan Luis Cano

Jun 14, 2017, 12:54:32 PM6/14/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I guess all the projects already selected their students, so I wish them all a good start of the coding period :)

Kind regards,

On 2017-06-05 13:42, Maxime Perrotin wrote:
The applications are being reviewed now, the start date for the coding period will be hopefully on 15th June - and shifted accordingly in september for students who can.

I can't get news from the contractual side today as this is public holidays in the Netherlands but all approvals are there and there should be no more major delays now.

Maxime

Mikail Yayla

Jun 15, 2017, 7:17:41 AM6/15/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

will there be an official list of accepted students from esa side ?

Kind regards,

On 2017-06-05 13:42, Maxime Perrotin wrote:
The applications are being reviewed now, the start date for the coding period will be hopefully on 15th June - and shifted accordingly in september for students who can.

I can't get news from the contractual side today as this is public holidays in the Netherlands but all approvals are there and there should be no more major delays now.

Maxime

Maxime Perrotin

Jun 15, 2017, 10:09:36 AM6/15/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the list will be published when the coding period is approved. Unfortunately, we still have some administrative issues right now and it is not possible to give the green light for the coding period.

Mikail Yayla

Jun 25, 2017, 5:16:03 AM6/25/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Dear esa,

I am very thankful for this opportunity and exited to start soon.

The last candidate for the start was 15th June. Is there a new candidate date at which the coding period will (probably) start?

Thank you for your efforts.

Kind regards,
Mikail

Maxime Perrotin

Jun 25, 2017, 7:23:39 AM6/25/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I don't know more than you. The contract is still not released at administration level, and I there is nothing I tried that helped in speeding up.
We are already one month late, and I don't get any sign that things are improving despite repeated attempts.

Sorry to say, this year we haven't been lucky with the process. I hope to get some news this week.

Maxime

Mikail Yayla

Jun 25, 2017, 8:56:07 AM6/25/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks for your reply. So we have to prepare for the scenario that SOCIS will not happen this year.

Is there anything we students can do to help you ?

Péterffy Gábor

Jun 26, 2017, 12:24:25 PM6/26/17
to esa-socis
Do not give up the hope ;) Hopefully the coding period just going to be shifted in time a little bit...