Eligibility criteria - Country

Swapnil Sharma

May 11, 2017, 11:45:02 AM5/11/17
to esa-socis
I'm from India pursuing B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering for a university in India. Am I eligible to participate in SOCIS 2017. I am really interested to be a part of it and contribute in open-source community. If not, will any kind of relaxation be provided in rules as I'm the only applicant under that specific project of the organization? Thank you in advance.

Juan Luis Cano

May 11, 2017, 11:48:29 AM5/11/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Swapnil,

Quoting from the Frequently Asked Questions list:

https://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2017/?q=faq#socis_elig_student_who

The institution must be based in a state that is contibuting [sic] to the ESA basic Technology Research Programme, that is including at least all ESA member states. In case of doubt, please contact the ESA delegation of your country or visit the ESA website. You should be prepared, upon request, to provide ESA with transcripts or other documentation from your accredited institution as proof of enrollment or admission status.

Regards,

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Swapnil Sharma <swap....@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm from India pursuing B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering for a university in India. Am I eligible to participate in SOCIS 2017. I am really interested to be a part of it and contribute in open-source community. If not, will any kind of relaxation be provided in rules as I'm the only applicant under that specific project of the organization? Thank you in advance.

Juan Luis Cano

Swapnil Sharma

May 11, 2017, 11:51:01 AM5/11/17
to esa-socis
Thanks Juan! I guess that means no.

Juan Luis Cano

Bikram Bharti

May 12, 2017, 2:59:08 AM5/12/17
to esa-socis
hey, Juan, can you confirm if no Indian university student is eligible ?

Juan Luis Cano

May 12, 2017, 3:10:08 AM5/12/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Which explains:

How is the TRP implemented?
All ESA Member States contribute to the TRP on a mandatory basis.

I admit I have tried to look for a comprehensive list of countries contributing to TRP, but I have found none. Therefore I assume only (some) ESA Member States contribute to TRP, and therefore, by my previous email, only students enrolled in institutions based in an ESA Member State can apply.

Kind regards,

Juan Luis Cano

Christopher Sean Morrison

May 12, 2017, 10:04:01 AM5/12/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com

It’s more clear now that several countries that were not yet ESA members have since become members.  If they’re a member or associate member, they to contribute to the TRP and that makes students studying in those countries eligible:

Countries in the “Enlargement” category probably depends on the nature of their agreement with the ESA, but I would assume not unless they have a PECS charter and even then maybe not:

Now where it’s unclear to me is the EU and UMETSAT are separate substantial contributors.  It would seem to me that students in those countries are also eligible but I don’t know that for sure.  Up-to-date listings for those programs are similarly easy to find:

Cheers!
Sean

p.s. This is just my interpretation from an org’s perspective, and Maxime may say I’m completely wrong. ;-)

Bikram Bharti

May 13, 2017, 11:14:06 AM5/13/17
to esa-socis
Thanks for quick response, wish I could participate All the best people :)

Joel Sherrill

May 13, 2017, 1:14:23 PM5/13/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com

On May 13, 2017 10:14 AM, "Bikram Bharti" <bikram....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for quick response, wish I could participate All the best people :)

Some other countries qualify. I think Canada is in the set. It is mostly EU countries. But if in doubt, ask.

--joel
RTEMS
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to esa-socis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Juan Luis Cano

May 13, 2017, 1:36:46 PM5/13/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I think having a specific list of countries would be easier for the following editions. Even pointing to some official ESA webpage listing them would do it :)
--
Juan Luis Cano

Maxime Perrotin

May 13, 2017, 2:56:17 PM5/13/17