Problem registering a new account

Tudor Emil Coman

May 9, 2017, 6:54:44 AM5/9/17
to esa-socis
Hi,

I'm trying to create a new account at https://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis/ but after submitting my name, email, completing the math question and hitting submit, no email is sent back with the password.
I've tried both a gmail account and my faculty outlook email with @cti.pub.ro.
I looked in the spam folders, nothing there.
I tried requesting the password for the made accounts but no email received also.

The website looks like it wasn't updated for the 2017 edition. Is the student application deadline still 15 May?  That date is really soon and I would like to submit my proposal by then.

Best regards,
Tudor

Juan Luis Cano

May 9, 2017, 6:58:11 AM5/9/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tudor,

Take a look at this email where Maxime explains the current situation:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/esa-socis/YMUC_1Sivjw/vP1BdGPFAgAJ

On the other hand, he already sent the project organizers the registration forms for the students. Please contact directly the project you would like to apply for to receive more information.

He is probably overloaded by now but there is nothing we can do but wait.

Kind regards,

Juan Luis Cano

Vaibhav Jain

May 10, 2017, 8:37:32 AM5/10/17
to esa-socis

Hello Juan,
I encountered the same problem as Tudor. Also this is my first time to SOCIS and I am not being able to quite understand the procedure and timeline (especially).
I would be glad if you could guide me through.

Sincerely,
Vaibhav Jain

Juan Luis Cano

May 10, 2017, 8:41:13 AM5/10/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Vaibhav,

This year ESA is perhaps not allocating enough human resources to SOCIS, so they lack the time to update the website. As I said above, contact directly the project you would like to apply for so they can send you the registration form. For all the rest, assume the timeline will be similar to 2016 (i.e. coding starting in June and ending in August), refer to the last email from Maxime that I linked above and wait patiently for him to give more information.

Best,

Juan Luis Cano

Vaibhav Jain

May 10, 2017, 8:47:51 AM5/10/17
to esa-socis
Hi Juan,
Thanks for your reply.
I have one more question that where is the project list. Because on SOCIS 2017, the project list page says that it is of 2016. Are the projects same this year?

Regards,
Vaibhav Jain

Juan Luis Cano

May 10, 2017, 9:03:46 AM5/10/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
According to the registration form, the list of projects is the following:

* OpenGEODE
* TASTE.tools
* Marble
* Orekit
* Rugged
* BRL-CAD
* MARS Planet
* Aerospace Research
* KSat Stuttgart
* Libre Cube
* poliastro
* SunPy
* PocketQubeShop
* GNU Radio
* TUDAT
* Libre Space Foundation

Sorry for not providing links.

Juan Luis Cano

Vaibhav Jain

May 10, 2017, 9:10:17 AM5/10/17
to esa-socis
Thanks Juan. Will get in touch with you if I need any more assistance.

Christopher Sean Morrison

May 10, 2017, 10:02:49 AM5/10/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
This year is quite different from previous years where orgs were formally publicly announced (maybe they were and I missed it?), students would find them in the list of accepted and start talking about potential projects.

This year, it's quite different with orgs and students needing to find each other independently.  From there, the process remains the same.  You contact the org and introduce yourself.

On that note, if anyone has an interest in simulation, 3D graphics, or GUI, let's talk!  We have lots of options at BRL-CAD.

Cheers!
Sean
BRL-CAD org admin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to esa-socis+...@googlegroups.com.