List of eligible countries

Andrei Mirt

Apr 29, 2014, 11:30:56 AM4/29/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
I don't really understand the list posted on SOCIS 2014 FAQ http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis/?q=faq#socis_elig_student_who
For the reference I will quote here the list of eligible countries:
The institution must be based in in one of the following states: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Poland, Estonia, Slovenia and Romania
Why this list and why this order?
This list is not a list of ESA member states, as it has 4 extra states: Canada, Estonia, Hungary and Slovenia.
I understand Canada has a special status, as it is part of ESA council, but the other three are only part of PECS. I don't want to go into politics to say if these countries should, or should not be in the program. In my opinion, the more the merrier, but there are 4 (not 3) countries part of PECS, and Latvia has been, apparently, excluded from the list of eligible ESA SOCIS states. If this is truly the case and it's not just an oversight, I think the reasoning behind this should be made public.
One other problem with this list is that it seems to be arbitrary, at best, if not alphabetically, but just for some states. In my opinion, a fully alphabetical list would be the best choice, but any other obvious sorting choice is in order like, by joining date, status(full member, associate, etc) or € contribution.
Also, around 25% of the budget comes from EU, why shouldn't all EU countries benefit from the SOCIS program then?
OK, I admit, the last one is entering a little bit into a political issue and most likely it cannot be solved on this mailing list, but I think it is still a valid point.
To restate my question: Does anyone know why this list and why this order?

Gigi D'Agostino

Apr 29, 2014, 7:15:58 PM4/29/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
nu te preocupa cu nimic, totul va merge bine....

Auke Booij

Apr 29, 2014, 7:17:11 PM4/29/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Google translate:
Do not worry about anything, everything goes well ....

You're welcome.

Maxime Perrotin

May 1, 2014, 7:45:25 AM5/1/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

To clarify (hopefully): the list of countries is not only depending on who is funding ESA, it is also related to the kind of funding. SOCIS is funded by what is called the "basic Technology Reseach Programme" (TRP) which is a mandatory contribution for ESA member states. Some countries that have other agreements with ESA may or may not be eligible to the TRP programme.
As far as I know the EU is funding optional ESA programmes, and not the TRP, for example.

I have updated the text in the FAQ and in the Terms of service. No explicit list of countries is mentionned anymore, as the list is subject to changes. When students are in doubt, they are invited to contact their local Space delegation or the ESA website to know if they can participate to a TRP activity. When I know more for one particular case (PECS or ECS country) of course I will try to give answer directly.

One source of information is this one, but I do not know if it is fully up to date: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlargement_of_the_European_Space_Agency#Enlargement

I hope that this answers well to your concerns.

Best regards,
Maxime

Andrei Mirt

May 1, 2014, 4:25:20 PM5/1/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com, maxime....@esa.int
Thank you for the clarification. I believe the list is clearer now, even if it's not explicit anymore. Now those willing to participate that cannot, because their country is not part of TRP, know that they should ask their country to start funding the TRP programme.

Best regards,
Andrei

Ilan benborhoum

May 3, 2014, 6:20:07 PM5/3/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com, maxime....@esa.int
hello dear Maxime.
Is Israel included in the list ? I see that it appears in the link you mentioned.
Thank you.

Maxime Perrotin

May 4, 2014, 3:41:18 AM5/4/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
I saw Israel in this list too and asked around, but I do not know what the agreement covers (http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Welcome_to_ESA/Israel_signs_Cooperation_Agreement
You have to ask to your official ESA representatives (so called delegation) to know if it is possible to get access to TRP.

carlo....@gmail.com

May 5, 2014, 3:38:37 AM5/5/14

Il giorno domenica 4 maggio 2014 09:41:18 UTC+2, Maxime Perrotin ha scritto:
I saw Israel in this list too and asked around, but I do not know what the agreement covers (http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Welcome_to_ESA/Israel_signs_Cooperation_Agreement
You have to ask to your official ESA representatives (so called delegation) to know if it is possible to get access to TRP.

Does anyone know if India is an eligible country?
We (Octave) are getting applications from Indian students,
do they know what they are doing or are they just "shooting in the dark"?

c.

Maxime Perrotin

May 5, 2014, 3:42:30 AM5/5/14
to esa-...@googlegroups.com
India is not eligible.

Anastasiya Zhyrkevich

May 26, 2017, 5:04:15 AM5/26/17
to esa-socis, Maxime....@esa.int
I am a student from Belarus, and I am enrolled to the university there.
But for time of the  ESA SOCIS I can be resided in Lithuania, which is among ESA countries.

Am I eligible for the program?

Juan Luis Cano

May 30, 2017, 4:45:13 AM5/30/17
to esa-...@googlegroups.com, Maxime....@esa.int
Hello Anastasiya,

I'm not part of the SOCIS organization, but according to the FAQ, the criteria is the country in which the institution you are enrolled is based.

https://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2017/?q=faq

Regards,

Juan Luis Cano