ESJS & WebGL

Scott Elcomb

Feb 28, 2012, 4:55:38 PM2/28/12
to es-operat...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get started with ES later this week and I'm just
wondering about WebGL support. Would I be able to import, say
three.js and use it from esjs?

With thanks,
--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
  http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

  Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
  http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Shiki Okasaka

Feb 28, 2012, 11:44:56 PM2/28/12
to es-operat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

Thanks for writing to us.

We haven't supported WebGL yet. Our primary focus is still in the CSS
2.1 implementation. After that, say when it passes around 90% of the
CSS 2.1 conformance test suite, we will more actively implement and
integrate the features specified in the HTML living specification
including the canvas element. That would be a good timing we'd spend
some time for WebGL integration or implementation.

As for esjs, we've suspended its development since we started the
development of the ES web browser. For ES web browser, we are
currently using SpiderMonkey. A nice thing about ES is it is built on
the Web IDL language bindings (including one for C++11), and you don't
have to learn JSAPI, NPAPI, things like those. At some point, we may
also support V8 API. I think, 'The big idea is "messaging"' by Alan
Key [1] is quite right on this, too. :-)

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/1998-October/017019.html

Best,

- Shiki

2012/2/29 Scott Elcomb <pse...@gmail.com>:

Scott Elcomb

Apr 26, 2012, 12:11:52 PM4/26/12
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Shiki Okasaka <shiki....@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for esjs, we've suspended its development since we started the
> development of the ES web browser. For ES web browser, we are
> currently using SpiderMonkey. A nice thing about ES is it is built on
> the Web IDL language bindings (including one for C++11), and you don't
> have to learn JSAPI, NPAPI, things like those. At some point, we may
> also support V8 API. I think, 'The big idea is "messaging"' by Alan
> Key [1] is quite right on this, too. :-)

Thanks Shiki. I'm glad to see on the home page that V8 is now supported. :-)

I haven't had time to really sit down to review until now; I'm really
excited to see where ES-OS will go.

Best regards,
- Scott.