Customize the Guest session (guest account) to your liking

Benton Macdonald

Aug 26, 2015, 3:27:31 AM8/26/15
to Errors in Easylinuxtipsproject
GRATITUDE
Your site, 'easy linux tips' for me results in efficient, consistent implementation of stable, reliable desktop instances. Thank you for this excellent service.

CONTEXT
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/2
'But in "Users and Groups" the new username should begin with a capital letter, because otherwise a malfunction might occur.'

PROBLEM
After 'Add' button in 'Users and Groups' window, the pop-up window carries the message 'The username must consist of only: -lower case letter (a-z) ...' and will not activate the 'Add' button unless the 'Username' field contains no capital letters.

CONSEQUENCE
Therefore a skeleton for guest cannot be created according to the 'Hospitality' instructions.

HOST
Kernel: 3.16.0-46-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
This system is a clean install with modifications only according to your site.

REQUEST
Please advise fix.

compu...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2015, 12:11:41 PM8/26/15
to Errors in Easylinuxtipsproject
Thanks for your reaction! I meant that the "full name" should begin with a capital, not the "user name". My text was unclear; I've rewritten it....

benton.a....@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2015, 6:50:20 PM8/29/15
to Errors in Easylinuxtipsproject
Thank you :).

michael...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2018, 12:18:41 PM7/12/18
to Errors in Easylinuxtipsproject
Thank you for this great tip!

This is not so much an error report as an additional tip..

You say, "The only disadvantage is, that you now have an extra "useless" user account in the login window."

This can be circumvented by removing the additional user account in User Settings.. >System->Users and Groups.. Highlight the user account, in your case "Hospitality" and Delete. In the following dialogue, select keep files.

The only drawback here is that it wouldn't be possible to change any settings relating to your guest session, except from a SU terminal in your main account.

I'm using the guest-session for the kids to watch DVDs so I have no need for any further session tweaks.

Adios