Suggestions for "Brother printers" guide

George Kropotkin

Aug 24, 2021, 4:30:16 AMAug 24
to Errors in Easylinuxtipsproject
Hello Pjotr!
I've recently bought a Brother HL-L2300DR laser printer, and spent two evenings trying to make it work. I've followed the instructions on you website and on the official Brother website (they're essentially the same), but without much success. After a lot of googling I've found that there are two separate issues:

1. Open-source driver (brlaser v6), preinstalled in Mint, creates a "HL-L2300D-series" printer whenever I connect the device. It is able to print a test page and some other simple jobs, but in most cases it silently fails: driver reports success, printer blinks green LED several times, and nothing more happens. This is caused by a long-known bug:
The bug is fixed, but there is no release including it, so we have to build from source. Complete sequence that worked for me on MInt 20.2:
download & unpack zip from https://github.com/pdewacht/brlaser, open terminal in the folder
apt install cmake g++ libcups2-dev
cmake .
make
sudo make install
apt remove cmake g++ libcups2-dev
apt autoremove
sudo systemctl restart cups

2. Proprietary driver installer successfully creates a "HLL2300D" printer, but can't print anything, not even the test page. This is probably caused by the lack of some 32-bit libs in Ubuntu 20.04 and its derivatives. Brother has released a patch:
Unfortunately it is not mentioned anywhere on the driver web page. I've suggested that they include the patch inside the driver itself, but got no reply.

Eventually I've got both drivers working, and settled with brlaser, because it works well enough, is much smaller (proprietary one downloads ~700MB of stuff) and I can't get rid of it anyway. ;)

Maybe this info will be useful to your readers.

Best regards,
George