Sep 11, 2018, 8:52:54 AM9/11/18
to Errors in Easylinuxtipsproject
First, thanks for your nice tips! All the SSD optimizations make sense to me, however there seems to be some unexpected side effect that I am hitting.
I installed KUbuntu 18.04.1 and had it running fine for a week or two, including a local printer and the OwnCloud sync client.
I changed the scheduler to deadline, and added the noatime option in Grub, per instructions.
The machine still boots fine and seems to be ok, but:
(1) When I try to print something, the jobs just go into the printing queue and never start printing - the status says "-" or "waiting". Then, when I shut down, I have to wait 90s (timeout), because CUPS was not terminated.
(2) Whenever OwnCloud starts at boot, I get a prompt that it wants access to KWallet, and I need to authorize this with a password.
Indeed, I had my OwnCloud password stored in KWallet, but I did not have to authorize the access to KWallet repeatedly.
I tried undoing the above-mentioned changes, but it did not help, unfortunately.
I am not 100% sure if (1) happened today, because I do not print every day, but I am sure about (2). The only other things I did with the system in the meantime:
- sudo apt update;sudo apt upgrade (see below for the list of updated packages)
- I added apt update and apt upgrade entries to the sudoers file to have them run without a password
- I removed the "splash" parameter from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (so I now have GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet")
Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Should I start over with a clean install?
Start-Date: 2018-09-11 12:10:20
Upgrade: linux-signed-generic:amd64 (126.96.36.199.35, 188.8.131.52.36)
End-Date: 2018-09-11 12:10:21
Start-Date: 2018-09-11 12:10:22
Install: linux-modules-4.15.0-34-generic:amd64 (4.15.0-34.37, automatic), linux-headers-4.15.0-34:amd64 (4.15.0-34.37, automatic), linux-image-4.15.0-34-generic:amd64 (4.15.0-34.37, automatic), linux-headers-4.15.0-34-generic:amd64 (4.15.0-34.37, automatic), linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-34-generic:amd64 (4.15.0-34.37, automatic)
Upgrade: linux-headers-generic:amd64 (184.108.40.206.35, 220.127.116.11.36), linux-image-generic:amd64 (18.104.22.168.35, 22.214.171.124.36), linux-generic:amd64 (126.96.36.199.35, 188.8.131.52.36)
End-Date: 2018-09-11 12:10:42
Start-Date: 2018-09-11 13:15:23
Commandline: apt upgrade
Requested-By: maciejr (1000)
Upgrade: libglib2.0-bin:amd64 (2.56.1-2ubuntu1, 2.56.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1), libglib2.0-data:amd64 (2.56.1-2ubuntu1, 2.56.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1), libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.56.1-2ubuntu1, 2.56.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1)
End-Date: 2018-09-11 13:15:25