Error Prone 2.0.11 release

Eddie Aftandilian

Jul 18, 2016, 4:50:30 PM7/18/16
to error-pron...@googlegroups.com, error-pro...@googlegroups.com
We are pleased to announce the release of Error Prone 2.0.11.

New check:
- [IdentityBinaryExpression]: detects useless boolean expressions, such as `a && a` and `a || a`.

Other changes:
- Removed PreconditionsExpensiveString.
- Fixed issue #432, which broke PackageLocation on Windows

Eddie Aftandilian

Jul 19, 2016, 8:11:17 PM7/19/16
to error-pro...@googlegroups.com, error-pron...@googlegroups.com
Klippy is currently Google-internal, not for any ideological reason, but because the tooling that powers most of its checks hasn't been open sourced yet.  We're working to open source that this quarter, and hopefully then we will open source the Klippy checks as well.

Klippy is a set of optional suggestions to simplify your code, often using Guava APIs.  For example, it will tell you to rewrite a loop like:

int x = 0;
for (T t : elements) {
    x++;
}

to:

int x = Iterables.size(elements);

Klippy's goal is to make code more readable, and often to improve performance as well.  Hence why we moved PreconditionsExpensiveString there.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 12:02 AM, <steph...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 10:50:30 PM UTC+2, Eddie Aftandilian wrote:
> Other changes:
> - Removed PreconditionsExpensiveString.

From [1] I understand that this functionality was moved to something called Klippy. Are my search skills failing me, or is that a Google-internal product?

I understand the rationale for dropping this bug pattern, but it's a shame to see it go: during its short life (it's only present in 2.0.10) it pointed out several violations in our code base.

[1] https://github.com/google/error-prone/commit/570675a7dad44007e08ab5fa201a4a0848d9f421

--
Googlers: This an external list. Please be careful when posting.
---