Trouble Accessing UI

Jeff Hanna

Mar 10, 2016, 2:04:45 PM3/10/16
to Errbit
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask for help. I'm not very familiar with rails, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. I just setup errbit but I can't seem to access the UI.
I ran "bundle exec rails server" and got the following back:

=> Booting Puma

=> Rails 4.2.5.2 application starting in development on http://localhost:3000

=> Run `rails server -h` for more startup options

=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server

Overwriting existing field _id in class App.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::CampfireService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::FlowdockService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::GtalkService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::HipchatService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::HoiioService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::HubotService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::PushoverService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::SlackService.page.

Creating scope :page. Overwriting existing method NotificationServices::WebhookService.page.

Puma starting in single mode...

* Version 3.0.1 (ruby 2.2.1-p85), codename: Plethora of Penguin Pinatas

* Min threads: 0, max threads: 16

* Environment: development

* Listening on tcp://localhost:3000

Use Ctrl-C to stop

I'm attempting to access the UI using my servers IP address and port 3000 but I'm getting ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

Any tips would be helpful!

Stephen Crosby

Mar 10, 2016, 4:13:18 PM3/10/16
to err...@googlegroups.com
Very strange. It sounds like there's some routing issue going on. You could test that the problem is outside of errbit by starting another process to listen on that port such as netcat:
nc -l 3000

If you don't see any output after starting that and attempting to point your browser to localhost:3000, then there's something wrong with your local network.

Jeff Hanna

Mar 10, 2016, 11:34:11 PM3/10/16
to Errbit
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply! As expected, net cat says the address is already in use. Just for clarity, I ran these commands to get everything up and running:

sudo git clone https://github.com/errbit/errbit.git
bundle install
bundle
exec rake errbit:bootstrap
bundle
exec rails server

This is on an ubuntu server, so to access the UI I'm pointing my browser to the IP and Port for example http://12.34.56.78:3000, all the examples I've seen say http://localhost:3000 but I'm assuming that's because they're running errbit on their machine and not remotely on a server. Hope this info helps, thanks again!

Stephen Crosby

Mar 10, 2016, 11:41:09 PM3/10/16
to err...@googlegroups.com
My guess is its a matter of how the server is bound to the host. Try 'bundle exec puma' instead of 'bundle exec rails server' which should bind to all hosts by default and also take a look at the puma docs on tcp socket bindings to see if it offers you any help: https://github.com/puma/puma#binding-tcp--sockets