How can I define an alternate selling unit for an Item

Satish

Aug 1, 2013, 6:58:57 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi

We may sell an item on two different UOM basis. Is there a possibility that I can define alternate UOM for individual items as many of our items sell on Sq. Ft. basis and also on Number basis.
I tried my hands on Openerp for some time and this feature was available. It is quite useful.

Satish Gupta

Satish

Aug 1, 2013, 7:04:19 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
To add. I was able to define kind of an alternate unit when an Item is a Purchase Item. So I think it is there because an item could be purchased in a unit and and processed and sold in different unit.
This could be useful only for selling also.

Satish Gupta

S Kannan

Aug 1, 2013, 7:06:04 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com

Hi Satish,

It would be great if you can mentiom few features that you find in Erpnext better than Openerp.

Regards,
Kannam

Shubham Gupta

Aug 1, 2013, 7:06:36 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We need the exact some thing but I am still getting my hands around the system. Infact, we maintain and sell stock in more than one alternate unit. The base UOM (for rate/price) is (almost) always KG. Maybe it is already there but we aren't aware how to use. One point here is that every item of ours can have a different conversion ratio from KG to say a packet/ream/roll etc.

Maybe if some experienced user or a developer could enlighten us:)

Thanks,
Shubham Gupta
Shobha Cards  Pvt. Ltd.

Satish

Aug 1, 2013, 7:35:47 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Well. First of all for me, since erpnext has been developed in India, it is much easier for me to understand the terminology used and charts of accounts etc.
Secondly, I found openerp a little intimidating to use. Though the interface is clean, certain options and configurations required going into advanced settings which intimidated me as I don't have any background in programming. I personally felt it can get really difficult for non-programmer to work with openerp. Time and again it would throw some cryptic errors which I would not understand.

And the biggest problem with it is that a friendly support is non-existent. It took me ages to understand how to install an outside module into openerp. There are a lot of different modules for different versions out there and searching them is a pain. There is no proper manual to use the thing.

Erpnext on the other hand is extremely user friendly. Excellent support and active development with regular updates. What more can a user ask for.

Satish Gupta

On Aug 1, 2013 4:28 PM, "Satish" <satishgu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

We may sell an item on two different UOM basis. Is there a possibility that I can define alternate UOM for individual items as many of our items sell on Sq. Ft. basis and also on Number basis.
I tried my hands on Openerp for some time and this feature was available. It is quite useful.

Satish Gupta

Rushabh Mehta

Aug 1, 2013, 8:12:20 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Satish,

This was an earlier request also, can you find some docs on this from OpenERP and post it on GitHub issues?

Thanks!

best,
Rushabh

T: @rushabh_mehta

Rushabh Mehta

Aug 1, 2013, 8:13:50 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
You can also try making a stock entry to convert units, but you will have to maintain separate item codes for both the units + make that extra conversion entry. I am sure there is a better solution (Alternate BOM). We will get to it (some day :)

T: @rushabh_mehta

Rushabh Mehta

Aug 1, 2013, 8:16:52 AM8/1/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Satish,

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions :)

As you would have seen, the issues just keep piling on for us. We are doing the best we can given our resources. We also have to maintain quality with feature requests! Also a lot of good features are on the way - webshop + retail POS etc.

best,
Rushabh

T: @rushabh_mehta