from the peace-from-death dept.

Doug Mounce

May 23, 2016, 11:59:02 AM5/23/16
to GENERATIVE-DE...@listserv.ilstu.edu
Seems like kind-of a contradictory headline, no?

U.S. officials are more optimistic about the prospects for peace in Afghanistan after a drone strike killed Taliban leader Mullah Mansour. Meanwhile, in Syria, ISIS claimed responsibility for attacks today that killed more than 80 people.

Tommy Schmitz

May 23, 2016, 9:19:41 PM5/23/16
to GENERATIVE-DE...@listserv.ilstu.edu
Doug!  Excellent.  And sad and mind-bending.  To which I can only respond: “How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?”

Your headline represents the seamless, rational, logical mass psychology in which we are embedded, or perhaps more accurately, ensconced, which seams even more terribly contradictory until one realizes that each generation, from the git-go, manifests unawares, its own unique mass psychology (Chapter One, "Beyond Psychology”, Otto Rank 1941) which is subsequently mis-applied by the next (or so) generation as the “true” mass psychology of its own time, out of which, the real “working” mass-psychology, in such subsequent time, remains in dark shadows… and so on.

Here is the simple human recipe for the unbroken continuation of the Dark Ages, in which we have always, and will always, exist.

Doesn’t mean some of us cannot appreciate, as you Doug certainly do, the tragic-comedy of it all, in any age at all.  Aristophanes dramatized this phenomenon, imo, in his play “The Frogs”… for which I owe I. F. Stone this thought from his brilliant “The Trial of Socrates”, a work that will smack you upside-one-end and down-the-other in refreshing and enlightening contradiction.

Tommy