Tommy Schmitz

Nov 8, 2018, 4:33:28 PM11/8/18
to GENERATIVE-DE...@listserv.ilstu.edu
Thanks  Doug,

Any mention of the following variation:

Subhuman: The Moral Psychology of Human Attitudes to Other Humans and/or Humans that are “The Other”?

It’s long been a speculation of mine that human groups that have been “de-personalized” by a more powerful group, are apt to mimic this de-personalizing behavior upon weaker groups.

An individual on any social level, by way of general anxiety, can feel perhaps “subhuman”, or worse, non-existent, as Paul Tillich describes in “The Courage to Be”, a decades old work whose time and insight, perhaps, has now come again.

Tommy Schmitz
--
Tommy Schmitz

Doug Mounce

Nov 9, 2018, 12:50:41 PM11/9/18
to GENERATIVE-DE...@listserv.ilstu.edu
Thanks Tommy, didn't get a chance to read the book.  I also like the dynamics that Nietzsche talks about between groups of power - but I don't fully understand it!  Tillich is a little more straightforward.

Tommy Schmitz

Nov 15, 2018, 3:03:25 AM11/15/18
to GENERATIVE-DE...@listserv.ilstu.edu
Thank you, Doug.