Adding email hooks to github

Matthew Kemp

Feb 11, 2009, 5:30:46 PM2/11/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com
What does everyone think about adding an email hook sending messages to erma-core to github? Has anyone used this feature? I'm assuming that it sends a message with a link to the commit (or something similar).

Matt

Ray Krueger

Feb 11, 2009, 9:03:12 PM2/11/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com
> What does everyone think about adding an email hook sending messages to
> erma-core to github? Has anyone used this feature? I'm assuming that it
> sends a message with a link to the commit (or something similar).

I'd rather see a separate list for that. It could end up making a lot
of noise here.

Matt O'Keefe

Feb 11, 2009, 9:27:23 PM2/11/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a new group named erma-dev would be more appropriate...

- erma-core - team communication
- erma-support - user q&a
- erma-dev - roadmap, release notes, commits

-Matt

Matthew Kemp

Feb 11, 2009, 11:08:15 PM2/11/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com, erma...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with that. I was pretty much just blasting the mailing list when I had changes to review anyway. That's why I suggested erma-core.

Matt

Stephen Mullins

Feb 11, 2009, 11:18:55 PM2/11/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com
if we all are going to subscribe to erma-dev though isn't it just the same amount of emails?

Doug Barth

Feb 11, 2009, 11:30:50 PM2/11/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:08 PM, Matthew Kemp wrote:

> I'm fine with that. I was pretty much just blasting the mailing list
> when I had changes to review anyway. That's why I suggested erma-core.

Are you guys aware that Github produces RSS feeds of commits?

--
Doug Barth

Ray Krueger

Feb 12, 2009, 8:58:20 AM2/12/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com

> Are you guys aware that Github produces RSS feeds of commits?

Heh, yeah, good point. This isn't 1995 any more. Let's use the RSS feeds :P

Matthew Kemp

Feb 12, 2009, 9:34:04 AM2/12/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com, erma...@googlegroups.com
One nice thing about using the mailing list is that it's a permanent
record that others can view vs rss feeds that are temporary. If we do
us rss feeds is there a way to subscribe to all erma feeds or do we
have to added each person's repo separately?

Matt

Ray Krueger

Feb 12, 2009, 9:43:18 AM2/12/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com
> One nice thing about using the mailing list is that it's a permanent
> record that others can view vs rss feeds that are temporary. If we do
> us rss feeds is there a way to subscribe to all erma feeds or do we
> have to added each person's repo separately?

Source control history is permanent. If you wanted to see commit
history, I assume that's where you'd look, not at some mailing list :P

I don't think the rss feed or emailed commits is going to include
downstream forks in either case. Commits for the "main" repository are
going to be the important commits. Also, since merged commits are
rolled up and accredited to the right person the feed will eventually
show all the "true" commits.
Here's Mr. Mullins feed...
http://github.com/feeds/smullins7/commits/erma/master
I used his because it's still at the top of the food chain. If we
intend to use erma-core/erma we should find a way to rebase forks off
of that.

Doug Barth

Feb 12, 2009, 11:11:28 AM2/12/09
to erma...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Ray Krueger wrote:

One nice thing about using the mailing list is that it's a permanent
record that others can view vs rss feeds that are temporary. If we do
us rss feeds is there a way to subscribe to all erma feeds or do we
have to added each person's repo separately?

I don't think the rss feed or emailed commits is going to include
downstream forks in either case.

Actually, I just found out that Github has a network feed, which includes an RSS feed for easy monitoring: http://github.com/erma-core/erma/network/feed

Other good ways to keep up to date on outstanding changes are:
  * The fork queue for a project: Fork Queue
  * Responding to pull requests from the author of a commit
  * Posting commit info to issues in Jira and reassigning
  * Using the github gem to monitor the fork queue at the command line

Personally, I'm partial to only reviewing and merging code when the author asks you to pull in the changes. Before that time, in my mind, the code is not ready for review.
--
Doug Barth