erma-core meeting

Greg Opaczewski

Jan 21, 2010, 2:10:25 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Everyone -

It's been a long time. I would like to get together sometime soon and
discuss the future of ERMA open source. I would like for to us to
agree together on a roadmap designed to move the project forward and
success criteria in terms of increased interest in the project.

Please respond with a date in the next two weeks when you would be
able to meet up, or let me know if you are no longer interested in
participating in the project. If I don't hear from you one way or
another within a week, I'll assume the latter. We'll worry about
location once we find out who is still interested. Thanks and I hope
I'll get to see you guys soon.

Greg

Ray Krueger

Jan 21, 2010, 2:31:17 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
I tried to hack up some Maven support, but at this point I'd recommend
against merging it. Maven is a pain in the ass, and the insistence on
Erma using JDK1.4 makes it even more difficult.

As for the project itself, it's time to move forward or die I think.
If Erma is going to continue using JDK 1.4 and commons-attributes
relics it will collect dust. If the team wants to move it forward and
get some innovation going again I'd be interested in helping out :)

-Ray

Greg Opaczewski

Jan 21, 2010, 2:41:04 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Ray.  I am very much interested in creating an ERMA 4.0 and removing JDK 1.4 support, I have a clean Gradle build that gets rid of the dual source trees at the same time.  I’m pretty sure we can ditch the commons-attributes as well.  In terms of innovation I think the key is still creating a compelling package with Graphite and then improving our overall presentation.

Greg

Matt O'Keefe

Jan 21, 2010, 3:18:09 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
Easy integration with Graphite would be great.  Lots of people seem to love Graphite and we might pick up some interest.

Is Gradle new?  First time I've heard of it...

-Matt

Matthew Kemp

Jan 21, 2010, 3:30:34 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
Gradle is a Groovy build system. I'd much prefer that over Maven.

I'd be interested in meeting up; however, I'm in Europe until mid-February. If you want to meet once I get back count me in.

Matt

Stephen Mullins

Jan 21, 2010, 3:49:08 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
I'm still very interested in participating in erma, though I'm on the west coast now. I won't be able to attend any kind of meeting but I'd like to contribute to the project. Hooray for ditching 1.4 support!

Stephen

Matt O'Keefe

Jan 21, 2010, 3:56:18 PM1/21/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
mid-February works for me.

Matthew Kemp

Feb 3, 2010, 3:29:48 AM2/3/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
I'll be available on or after Feb 22nd. Don't feel like you guys have to wait for me if that's too far out.

Greg Opaczewski

Feb 4, 2010, 9:36:14 AM2/4/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com

Let’s try to get together that week, we’ll work out the when and where as it gets closer

Greg
> To post to this group, send email to erma...@googlegroups.com <http://erma...@googlegroups.com> .

Greg Opaczewski

Feb 16, 2010, 11:17:24 AM2/16/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
How about meeting at Orbitz, Wednesday Feb. 24, 5:00?

Stephen would you be able to call in maybe?

Greg

>> <http://erma-core+unsub...@googlegroups.com> .

Stephen Mullins

Feb 16, 2010, 4:35:09 PM2/16/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
I can call in just let me know the number, I assume 5p central time?

Stephen

>> erma-core+...@googlegroups.com
>> <http://erma-core+unsub...@googlegroups.com> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/erma-core?hl=en.

Greg Opaczewski

Feb 22, 2010, 9:59:31 AM2/22/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com

Please confirm whether you can make 5:00 this Wednesday at Orbitz or suggest alternate plans.  So far I’ve only heard back from Stephen.

thanks
Greg

>> http://groups.google.com/group/erma-core?hl=en.

Matthew Kemp

Feb 22, 2010, 1:50:19 PM2/22/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
That works for me.

Matt O'Keefe

Feb 22, 2010, 2:05:05 PM2/22/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com
Works for me too.

Doug Barth

Feb 23, 2010, 8:49:18 AM2/23/10
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Greg Opaczewski <gopac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please confirm whether you can make 5:00 this Wednesday at Orbitz or suggest
> alternate plans.  So far I’ve only heard back from Stephen.

Hey,

I'm not going to be able to make it this Wednesday. At this point, I
haven't touched the code in well over a year, and I don't have any
plans to for the foreseeable future. I'll still hang out on the
mailing list and I'll be interested in reading what you guys come up
with.

Greg Opaczewski

Feb 24, 2010, 11:18:04 AM2/24/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
Alright, I've heard from everyone and we're on for tonight, 5:00. I
need to run by 6:20, but that should be plenty of time. Therese has
already cleared you through security so you can just come on up to the
8th floor and give me a call on my cell number below when you get
here. More importantly I’ll also provide the beer.

Greg
312.282.6817

Stephen Mullins

Feb 24, 2010, 11:22:48 AM2/24/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
Am I dialling in to your cell or a conference room phone?

Ray Krueger

Feb 24, 2010, 11:22:49 AM2/24/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
Any thoughts on an agenda?

Greg Opaczewski

Feb 24, 2010, 11:38:14 AM2/24/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
Yes, here are the items I would like to cover:

1. Review state of accounts on github, launchpad, wikidot and talk
about consolidating
2. ERMA 4.0: JDK 1.5 minimum, Gradle build, ??
3. Project to bridge ERMA & Graphite

Ray Krueger

Feb 24, 2010, 5:23:43 PM2/24/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
Sorry all,
Change of plans. My wife needs me home and she's more important than you :P
Post an update on what you guys talk about though please.

I'll add my .02 now. Right now Erma is useless as an open source
project. I say that because it lacks the endpoints that Orbitz has
with Streambase and Graphite. I see here that there is already an item
on the agenda to tie Erma to Graphite and that's awesome. That's
exactly what Erma needs.

I had wanted to build out some stuff to connect Erma -> Esper ->
Graphite. Or even to just skip the middle man and go straight to
Graphite. Right now Erma just produces noisy log files and that's not
all that useful to people. For Erma to take off it needs to be useful,
not just interesting.

My .02, bluntly put, as always,
-Ray

Greg Opaczewski

Feb 24, 2010, 5:31:44 PM2/24/10
to erma...@googlegroups.com, JACOB...@orbitz.com, Tristan....@orbitz.com, aleksey...@orbitz.com, Connor...@orbitz.com, MARTIN...@orbitz.com
No problem. Agreed on the need for the bridge to Graphite and will
post notes from the meeting back to this group.

Greg