ERMA Governance and Change Awareness

Jacob Tomaw

May 28, 2013, 4:15:50 PM5/28/13
to erma...@googlegroups.com, DEVELOPMENT-CORE COMPONENTS
ERMA-Core,

How involved do you want to be in changes to ERMA?  Several years ago when there was some significant shift from this group being primarily Orbitz employees to non-employees we had a committer meeting that did not result in a lasting agreement on how to proceed. This is why I am seeking your input.  I do not want to be seen as unjustly taking personal ownership of your hard work.  I also want to work in a way to fosters community.

This year I would like to make a push to improve the documentation, code quality (as measured via static analysis), simplicity of adoption, and actual adoption of ERMA.  I do not anticipate drastic changes that fundamentally change the project direction.  However I want to ensure that I am meeting your expectations of the work you contributed and have take ERMA as far as it has gone so far.

Any input is valuable.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Tomaw
tfl:The Flatiron Life (http://theflatironlife.com)

Matt O'Keefe

May 29, 2013, 3:02:08 PM5/29/13
to erma...@googlegroups.com, DEVELOPMENT-CORE COMPONENTS
I would like to stay involved in communication to see how things develop. I don't anticipate finding much time to contribute to the code however.

In terms of adoption, I suggest thinking about how to bridge the gap from ERMA to Graphite. Maybe Rocksteady or Storm?

Matthew Kemp

May 31, 2013, 2:51:38 PM5/31/13
to erma...@googlegroups.com, DEVELOPMENT-CORE COMPONENTS
I'm in a similar boat to Mr O'Keefe.

Connor

Jun 2, 2013, 8:32:39 AM6/2/13
to erma...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to contribute, but since I don't use ERMA, I don't have many ideas or much time.

Fleshing out the rest of the system, connecting ERMA to reporting and alarming would make it easier to sell. I tried to get it implemented at another company, but the amount of work required to get one graph made it a non starter.

Jacob Tomaw

Jun 3, 2013, 4:59:30 PM6/3/13
to erma...@googlegroups.com
All,

It is good to see we are all on the same page regarding the direction ERMA should go, even if we are all not able to move it that way today.  Building the story around easily getting data from your application to Graphite with a few steps is exactly where I want to go.  Rocksteady, Storm, or similar is also what I have been thinking.

I will be sure to keep this list informed, but will feel at liberty to not need sign-off for changes.

Thanks,

Jacob