Joxa: any real world code to look at?

Steve Freitas

Apr 8, 2012, 1:53:10 AM4/8/12
to erlware-questions
Hi Eric!

I've been reading up on Joxa and have been looking through the source.
My Scheme and Erlang are both sufficiently rusty/limited to make it a
challenge for me. You mentioned that you're using Joxa in production.
Would any of this real world Joxa be appropriate to release to the
community? It would help me to see a real app written in it, if
possible. If not, any plans for that in the future?

Also, I didn't see any discussion of mutability. Where does Joxa stand
on this?

Thanks!

Steve

Eric Merritt

Apr 8, 2012, 9:46:17 AM4/8/12
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com, sfl...@ihonk.com
Steve,

We have not released anything into the world yet. You should start
seeing somethings trickle out by the end of may. Thats the plan at the
very least. At the very least you should start seeing it show up in
some of my open source projects soon.

Joxa does not support mutability. Mutability brings in too much
non-determinism when it comes to massively concurrent systems (which
is where Joxa, like Erlang) is positioned. That doesn't mean that joxa
wont ever support some type of in-a-single process 'apparent'
mutability, but thats a thing to think about in the future right now.

Eric

Steve Freitas

Apr 8, 2012, 12:20:41 PM4/8/12
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply, Eric.

On 04/08/12 06:46, Eric Merritt wrote:
> Steve,
>
> We have not released anything into the world yet. You should start
> seeing somethings trickle out by the end of may. Thats the plan at the
> very least. At the very least you should start seeing it show up in
> some of my open source projects soon.

Great, looking forward to it.

> Joxa does not support mutability. Mutability brings in too much
> non-determinism when it comes to massively concurrent systems (which
> is where Joxa, like Erlang) is positioned. That doesn't mean that joxa
> wont ever support some type of in-a-single process 'apparent'
> mutability, but thats a thing to think about in the future right now.

Okay, given the Clojure influence, that's what I expected. We still have
access to the process dictionary, though, correct? (With all of the
usual warnings and caveats...)

Thanks,

Steve

Eric Merritt

Apr 8, 2012, 12:30:41 PM4/8/12
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com, sfl...@ihonk.com

>> Joxa does not support mutability. Mutability brings in too much
>> non-determinism when it comes to massively concurrent systems (which
>> is where Joxa, like Erlang) is positioned. That doesn't mean that joxa
>> wont ever support some type of in-a-single process 'apparent'
>> mutability, but thats a thing to think about in the future right now.
>

> Okay, given the Clojure influence, that's what I expected. We still have
> access to the process dictionary, though, correct? (With all of the usual
> warnings and caveats...)

Yup. Though Joxa is not designed to be syntactically compatible with
erlang. It is designed such that erlang code and joxa code are
transparently interchangeable. We have restricted joxa to the same
data types as erlang for that very reason. So any code that you can
call from erlang you can call from Joxa and vice versa. The process
dictionary is included in that set. (warnings and caveats!).

Basically, all of this code is in the erlang module so you would just
call it as if it where joxa code. That is '(erlang/get key)'
'(erlang/put key 1)', etc. The joxa compiler actually uses this for
memoization.

Steve Freitas

Apr 8, 2012, 2:54:36 PM4/8/12
On 04/08/12 09:30, Eric Merritt wrote:
> Yup. Though Joxa is not designed to be syntactically compatible with
> erlang. It is designed such that erlang code and joxa code are
> transparently interchangeable. We have restricted joxa to the same
> data types as erlang for that very reason. So any code that you can
> call from erlang you can call from Joxa and vice versa. The process
> dictionary is included in that set. (warnings and caveats!).
> Basically, all of this code is in the erlang module so you would just
> call it as if it where joxa code. That is '(erlang/get key)'
> '(erlang/put key 1)', etc. The joxa compiler actually uses this for
> memoization.

Cool! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to any future code releases.

Steve

vejm...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2013, 10:09:47 AM7/4/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

any news on a possible release of real-world code?

- Martin

Eric Merritt

Jul 8, 2013, 1:19:49 PM7/8/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Not anything public unfortunately, I have not had the time to work on
Joxa in quite a while either.

On the upside, I have been doing some work with Elixir, and while its
not a lisp it does have similar meta-programing capabilities. Its
worth looking at in any case.

Eric

vejm...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2013, 9:19:36 AM7/10/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Seeing as you mention Elixir yourself, this does beg another question:
what are your future plans for joxa?  Do you now see it more as an exercise
or an experiment (and you moved on) or are you looking to get more
widespread support and acceptance for it?

- Martin

Eric Merritt

Jul 10, 2013, 12:42:42 PM7/10/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

I would still very much like to come back to it. Its just a matter of the time I have at the moment to dedicate to it. A lisp on the ERTS still makes sense, and the approach I took Joxa is a good one, one I want to continue exploring. So not an experiment, but to be honest , given my current load of things, I have no idea when I will be able to get back to it in ernest.

I mention Elixir, simply because it already has a good community and there are a few books out about it. If you wanted something lisp like that you could safely use right now, that wouldn't be a bad choice.
Eric