[Relx] Changes to output

Eric Merritt

Sep 11, 2013, 4:53:51 PM9/11/13
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com, erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

We are about to change the release output format of relx to be more
inline with what systools expects. Since this changes what you can
expect when you do relx or relx release you should be aware of it. You
can peg yourself at the current version to avoid being impacted by
this change.

Eric

Patrick Moy

Oct 3, 2013, 7:21:45 PM10/3/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

I haven't been able to work with Erlang for a long time.  Fortunately, a project opened recently that allows me to get back to it.  I would like to use Sinan.  But when I tried to download the latest version, I noticed most links on this site: http://erlware.github.io/sinan/, and others are dead.  Is Sinan still supported software?

Regards,
Pat

Eric

Eric Merritt

Oct 3, 2013, 8:33:15 PM10/3/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Pat,

Sinan was deprecated quite awhile ago in favor of rebar and relx. Let
me know if you need help migrating. There are tons of decent docs out
there for both.

Eric

Patrick Moy

Oct 3, 2013, 9:04:12 PM10/3/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eric.  I'll take a look at those packages.  Sorry to hear about Sinan.  It's good software, and I really liked it.
Pat

Eric Merritt

Oct 3, 2013, 10:26:36 PM10/3/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Most of the interesting stuff in sinan is in relx and rebar does a
(barely) adequate job of building. The combination of the two isn't
bad really.

Patrick Moy

Oct 7, 2013, 12:49:16 PM10/7/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

I only looked at Rebar briefly before choosing Sinan a couple of years ago, so am not all that familiar with what it can do.  After reading some documentations the last few days, I now know you can use Rebar & Reltool to manage the entire development/release cycle.  I also read documentations on Relx & Erlang.mk, which look like really helpful tools.  But now I'm a bit confused on where the various tools fit in the workflow.

Is your recommendation to use Rebar with Erlang.mk and RelX, or will use of Erlang.mk with relx allow me to bypass Rebar & Reltool entirely?

Pat

Eric Merritt

Oct 7, 2013, 1:52:49 PM10/7/13
to erlware-...@googlegroups.com
Pat,

Don't use reltool. Its a massive pile of crap. You can use Rebar +
Relx or Erlang.mk + Relx. If you use Erlang.mk + Relx you won't need
to use rebar at all. Rebar does a decent job of just building and has
nice plugin support (I use it mainly because I want to use my
rebar_vsn_plugin). Erlang.mk doesn't have the plugin support of
course, but it also does a decent job of building. In either case relx
should be used to create the release.

Just a note, relx is an erlware project and I wrote the vast majority
of it, So assume that I am biased. That said, you are familiar with
the approach because it descended directly from sinan.

Eric