reltool enhancements

Tristan Sloughter

Mar 30, 2012, 1:20:16 PM3/30/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
Watching the talk on what's coming in OTP this morning. Apparently reltool is getting lots of work for R15B01 and R16. Some changes he says are explicitly for rebar.

Maybe reltool will be more useable.. The talk didn't give details of what the changes really are, but probably something we should look at to see if they would be of use for sinan.

Anyone know what they are?

Tristan

Eric Merritt

Mar 30, 2012, 4:31:39 PM3/30/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
I have been talking with the reltool folks on a side channel and they
say basically the same thing. If they fix a couple of the bugs (and I
hope they will) I might switch sinan over. Though it would screw the
R14 using folks so we will have to see.

Jordan Wilberding

Mar 31, 2012, 12:22:03 PM3/31/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
Isn't reltool just another library? Technically, we wouldn't need to make R15B01/R16 a dependency, just the latest reltool. Right? I think that is acceptable.

Torben Hoffmann

Apr 2, 2012, 3:53:10 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
I assume that the switch over is for sinan to use reltool and not for
you to start using rebar, right?

I am - as most of you know - not fund of the way rebar deals with
configuration management so I was trying to get all the dependencies for
a project I am building and I got really bitten by how much magic rebar
throws at the table under your feet. For every application that I do
manage to install into my ERL_LIBS one or two new dependencies pop up.

I am eating my own medicine with regards to have configuration
management under control I fork every project since many project owners
forget to label and in other ways control the version of their software.
This is slightly painful, but compared to the pain of being hit by a
fantastic new feature in the latest commit of a dependency I am taking
the pain.

Cheers,
Torben

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann

Jordan Wilberding

Apr 2, 2012, 9:01:00 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
We definitely are not switching to rebar. We are just considering integrating the new reltool with sinan.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/erlware-dev?hl=en.

Torben Hoffmann

Apr 2, 2012, 9:27:54 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reassuring me - I had a really bad taste in my mouth due to misreading that mail.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/erlware-dev?hl=en.

Eric Merritt

Apr 2, 2012, 9:58:54 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Torben Hoffmann <torben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume that the switch over is for sinan to use reltool and not for you to
> start using rebar, right?

As Jordan said there are no plans for that at all. We are noodling
around on a package management system that would take over some of
sinan's duties but that is a different story entirely then migrating
to reltool.

> I am - as most of you know - not fund of the way rebar deals with
> configuration management so I was trying to get all the dependencies for a
> project I am building and I got really bitten by how much magic rebar throws
> at the table under your feet. For every application that I do manage to
> install into my ERL_LIBS one or two new dependencies pop up.
>
> I am eating my own medicine with regards to have configuration management
> under control I fork every project since many project owners forget to label
> and in other ways control the version of their software.
> This is slightly painful, but compared to the pain of being hit by a
> fantastic new feature in the latest commit of a dependency I am taking the
> pain.

This is basically exactly what I end up doing and its painful for all
the reasons you specify.

Torben Hoffmann

Apr 2, 2012, 10:23:46 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com

On 2/4/12 15:58 , Eric Merritt wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Torben Hoffmann<torben...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I assume that the switch over is for sinan to use reltool and not for you to
>> start using rebar, right?
> As Jordan said there are no plans for that at all. We are noodling
> around on a package management system that would take over some of
> sinan's duties but that is a different story entirely then migrating
> to reltool.

That was my impression until the earth started shaking below me...

>> I am - as most of you know - not fund of the way rebar deals with
>> configuration management so I was trying to get all the dependencies for a
>> project I am building and I got really bitten by how much magic rebar throws
>> at the table under your feet. For every application that I do manage to
>> install into my ERL_LIBS one or two new dependencies pop up.
>>
>> I am eating my own medicine with regards to have configuration management
>> under control I fork every project since many project owners forget to label
>> and in other ways control the version of their software.
>> This is slightly painful, but compared to the pain of being hit by a
>> fantastic new feature in the latest commit of a dependency I am taking the
>> pain.
> This is basically exactly what I end up doing and its painful for all
> the reasons you specify.

For that reason I am now trying out Agner to see if it can ease my pains.
I just want control and predictability. Not much to ask I think.

Cheers,
Torben

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann

Eric Merritt

Apr 2, 2012, 10:26:28 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com

You are pretty much going to have the exact same problem with agner really.

Torben Hoffmann

Apr 2, 2012, 10:29:08 AM4/2/12
to erlwa...@googlegroups.com, Eric Merritt

Well, you are probably right, but it gives me a separation of concerns
and that is a good first step until a proper dependency management tool
comes around.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann