wxWidgets and Macports

bytemonger

Oct 28, 2016, 5:36:03 PM10/28/16
to Erlang Questions
Hi,
I am learning Erlang, Nitrogen and N2O on Macs. When I tried to use observer I found that because of 64/32 bit incompatibility between Erlang and wxWidgets this fails, as does dialyzer. Macports does have a wxWidgets-3.0 port which I assume is 64 bit and so is erlang @19.1_0+hipe+ssl.

I assume that the .../erlang/lib/wx-1.7.1 which on other OSes would contain a full wx library is mostly empty on macports (/opt/local/lib/erlang/lib/wx-1.7.1). Is there some way to compile the Erlang port so it uses wxWidgets-3.0 as a dependency?

Any solution to this problem would be very helpful. Thank you,

bakki

bytemonger

Oct 29, 2016, 12:11:59 PM10/29/16
to Erlang Questions
Problem solved!

I did a bit more digging in macports and found out that there is a erlang variant with wxWidgets support.
○ → port variant erlang
erlang has the variants:
[+]hipe: Enable HiPE (native-code bytecode compiler)
     * conflicts with nohipe
   nohipe: Legacy compatibility variant
     * conflicts with hipe
   odbc: Build ODBC support
[+]ssl: Build SSL support
   wxwidgets: Build wxWidgets support

So I reinstalled the erlang port with:
sudo port install erlang +wxwidgets
which compiled without errors and now I have observer.start(). working.