[erlang-questions] Erlang application will affect Erlang kernel net tick time operation ?.

lankeanandrao

May 24, 2017, 1:55:48 AM5/24/17
to erlang-q...@erlang.org
Hi all,

If the Erlang application is loaded with too many print statements
i.e io:format, will it affect the Erlang kernel net tick time operation?.

and also I want to know, in what situation Erlang
"node_down_reason" as "connection_closed" will come.

Here I am running two Erlang nodes in visible mode

Example : a@HostIP running with net tick time as 5 sec. and another
node b@HostIP running with net tick time as 4 times greater than the
other node, on both the nodes a Erlang program is running which will
just print the kernel messages received as node_down or node_up. In the
above scenario the node which is running with more tick time is
receiving node_down_reason as "connection_closed" and the other node
which is running with less tick time is receiving node_down_reason as
"net_tick_time_out".

Regards,
Anand Rao L

Tobias Schlager

May 24, 2017, 2:59:58 AM5/24/17
to lankeanandrao, erlang-q...@erlang.org
Hi Anand,

here's the relevant quote from the kernel application documentation [1]:
'Notice that all communicating nodes are to have the same TickTime value specified.'

You are not supposed to run several connected Erlang nodes with different tick times. That's most probably the reason, for the node down messages you encounter.

Regards
Tobias

[1] http://erlang.org/doc/man/kernel_app.html