windows quick virus scan

Sam Overdorf

Mar 29, 2022, 6:00:05 PM3/29/22
to Erlang Questions
I have asked this before.
why does erlang cause random quick virus scans on my windows 10?

Thanks,
Sam
sove...@gmail.com

Luke Bakken

Mar 29, 2022, 6:04:01 PM3/29/22
to Sam Overdorf, Erlang Questions
It doesn't, so you'll have to provide more information -

* How are you running Erlang?
* What evidence of "virus scans" is there? Do you have event log entries?
* Can you enable ProcMon and filter by the Erlang executable to see
everything it's doing?

Sam Overdorf

Mar 29, 2022, 6:12:05 PM3/29/22
to Luke Bakken, Erlang Questions
Sometimes it takes 1.5 Min to start up using "erl" or "escript" (which
is very annoying).
I can see microsoft scanning by using "taskmgr".
After it finishes the quick scan then erlang startsup and seems to
work just fine.
I like erlang and would like to figure out what my problem is.

Thanks,
Sam

Luke Bakken

Mar 29, 2022, 6:44:37 PM3/29/22
to Sam Overdorf, Erlang Questions
Hi Sam,

What version of Erlang are you using? Older versions started up slowly
on Windows due to a bug - https://github.com/erlang/otp/issues/4193

If you completely disable virus scanning on your machine, is the issue resolved?

I use Windows to do Erlang development and do not experience these
issues, even with anti-virus software running.

Thanks -
Luke

Sam Overdorf

Mar 29, 2022, 7:09:33 PM3/29/22
to Luke Bakken, Erlang Questions
I always use the latest version currently 24.3.3.
I use Microsoft Defender for virus protection.
I don't want to disable it because it checks for viruses.
Thanks,
Sam

Luke Bakken

Mar 29, 2022, 7:59:52 PM3/29/22
to Sam Overdorf, Erlang Questions
I'm not suggesting that you *permanently* disable MS Defender, just do
so to test that it is in fact the problem.

If you determine it to be the issue you should be able to exclude the
Erlang installation directory from scanning.

Sam Overdorf

Apr 1, 2022, 6:51:12 PM4/1/22
to Luke Bakken, Erlang Questions
I'll try that.