Erlang talk for multi user group gathering

Rodrigue Alcazar

Nov 20, 2012, 3:22:38 PM11/20/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

a multi user-group meet up is being organized this 4th December that will bring together people from Ruby, Python, .Net, Node.js and probably other user groups. I am emailing the list for two reason.

First, save the date! I should be fun and interesting.

Second, the organizers are asking if someone could give a 10 minutes talk on Erlang (every group is given 10 mins) so I was wondering whether anyone would be interested? I am personally still a newbie in Erlang but I wouldn't mind given a talk on what attracted me coming from Python and what is keeping me interested following my first experiences. Anyone else who wants to give a presentation?

Cheers,
Rodrigue

nisbus

Nov 21, 2012, 2:50:18 PM11/21/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Where is the meeting?

sigm...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2012, 7:36:09 PM11/21/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com

It is being held at Engine Yard:

Engine Yard Ireland
2nd Floor, 35 Barrow St.
Dublin 4

//Sigmund

nisbus

Nov 26, 2012, 5:31:54 PM11/26/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I would be happy to talk a little bit about my experiences with Erlang in production (and in general).
I've been using Erlang for a few years in the finance industry and we have a few systems running in production.
I come from C# so maybe that's something people would be interested in hearing about?

Any ideas on a subject, or just general 'this is Erlang'?

nisbus

Rodrigue Alcazar

Nov 28, 2012, 5:15:41 PM11/28/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nisbus,

thank you very much for volounteering. A talk on your use of Erlang and why it's an appropriate language would great. Comparing it to your object oriented past would certainly be interesting too. It's only a 10 minutes talk thought so obviously there won't be much time to get into details but it should be enough to tempt people into erlang.

So, should I put you down for a talk then? You'd need to give me a title for your talk so that I can forward that for the announcement.

Cheers,
Rodrigue

nisbus

Nov 29, 2012, 5:49:27 PM11/29/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sure I´ll do it.
How about "I love Erlang" as a title :)?
Could you give me the time of the conference since I have to commute from Cork to be there.
Start and end time would be nice to know.

Jakub

Nov 30, 2012, 8:10:55 AM11/30/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It starts at 7pm. Not sure about the end... https://tito.io/league-of-facepalm/dublin-geek-slam

/Jakub

nisbus

Dec 2, 2012, 7:53:49 AM12/2/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rodrigue,

I've sent you emails confirming my talk but haven't heard from you.
Anyways, I'll be there.

Clive

Dec 3, 2012, 7:52:48 AM12/3/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I recently joined the group and i'm going to the meet up on tuesday. Looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time. Rodrigue - i think i owe you a beer mate.

See you all there.

Clive.

nisbus

Dec 6, 2012, 3:13:08 PM12/6/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It was a great meetup and really nice to meet you Rodrigue.
Just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to spread the gospel of Erlang :)

nisbus

Rodrigue Alcazar

Dec 7, 2012, 9:47:22 AM12/7/12
to erlang-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nisbus,

all the thanking is for you to come all the way from Cork and show people some Erlang. I also really enjoyed the way you simply destroyed Node.js :)

Hopefully there will be more erlang meetups in the year to come as well so you can pop by again and meet some new people.

In the meantime, all the best in Cork.

Cheers,
Rodrigue