Which Code Repository?

G Bulmer

Dec 18, 2007, 9:34:27 AM12/18/07
to erlang...@googlegroups.com
I wondered which shared source code repository we should use?

I'd like to work on my MacBook, and a home-brew X86 machine, so I'd
like the tools to be available on those platforms.

My default reaction is to use subversion, but I have heard very good
things about git, and some people seem to use a combo of git and
subversion, but that still doesn't say where to put the shared/public
repository.

I have been using jEdit, and even vim, for Erlang code (I am not an
Emacs guy, and these exist on both platforms), but might use TextMate
or XCode on my Mac if the integration of build and source code
management is done.

The 'obvious' choices for shared repository are google code hosting,
or sourceforge, but is there something more appropriate?
What other requirements and preferences should we consider?

GB

Tim

Dec 19, 2007, 6:36:23 AM12/19/07
to Erlang DTrace

On Dec 18, 3:34 pm, G Bulmer <gbul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MacBook, and a home-brew X86 machine, ... vim .. XCode

Sounds like the environment I'm using

> My default reaction is to use subversion, but I have heard very good
> things about git, and some people seem to use a combo of git and
> subversion, but that still doesn't say where to put the shared/public
> repository.

I'm becoming a big fan of distributed version control a la git. If we
want to go that route, I'm suggest using mercurial, it's widely used
(mozilla, opensolaris, openjdk) and it doesn't suffer from what I feel
is git's biggest drawback: windows support (not that I'd want to use
windows...)

The main advantages are: to the casual user, mercurial (and most of
the other dvcs) don't behave differently than "regular" version
control, and I'd be able to use VC on trains, planes and hotels with
no connectivity, which are likely the places where I'll do my editing.

> The 'obvious' choices for shared repository are google code hosting,
> or sourceforge,

Main advantage of using subversion are: we can just use google code or
sourceforge so no one will have to meddle with setting up and
administering a server.

I can check to see whether I can host a mercurial repository on my
hosted server or will go ahead and set up a repository on google code
and load a vanilla R12 into it just to see how that works out.

> but is there something more appropriate?
> What other requirements and preferences should we consider?

Apart from the git/windows problem which would effect either of us
(and frankly, I'd guess it'll be just the two of us for a while) I
don't see any requirements. The license is a (modified) Mozilla
license, so there shouldn't be a problem with republishing the
sources. I can't really think of any other factors to consider at the
moment, though I'm sure some will come up.

Tim

Dec 19, 2007, 8:54:50 AM12/19/07
to Erlang DTrace
> What other requirements and preferences should we consider?
I've come across a concrete reason not to use google code: they have a
quota of 100MB and OTP/12 in itself is 120MB.

It's possible to write a mail to google code admins and beg for more
space.
Alternatively, there's no real reason to check in the entire OTP
distribution with all the tools, libraries, etc.

-tim

G Bulmer

Dec 19, 2007, 12:24:22 PM12/19/07
to erlang...@googlegroups.com
Tim

>> What other requirements and preferences should we consider?
> I've come across a concrete reason not to use google code: they have a
> quota of 100MB and OTP/12 in itself is 120MB.

That seems like something which needs to be big enough to hold
everything, and then some. What is a good rule of thumb? 2.5 x
baseline to allow for serious disasters?

I realise that we'll likely need less than 10% of the limit for our
work, but it feels convenient to have a repository that:
1. is maintained by a full-time hosting company (so everything is
fine if we get run over by a bus), and
2. contains the *entire* system repository including baseline, so it
is straightforward for anyone to join or add a new machine.

(I am not a repository guru, but don't we get an extra failure mode
if we don't have all of the code in the shared repository?)

I've googled around, and can't find a reference which gives size
limits, grrrr!

We could ask the DTrace community at OpenSolaris.org to give us space
there (http://opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/). I don't know how
long it'd take, but Bryan Cantrill wrote to me offering help, and
Cc:d Adam Leventhal, Michael Shapiro and Brendan Gregg, which gets us
4 of the 7 DTrace community leaders. My only concern is this may
impose some extra constraints on us (but I have no idea what :-).

This simplest thing sounds like just asking should ask google for a
bigger limit. Is the google code project already set up, or should I
do that?

If that doesn't work, I'd like to host somewhere that is big enough,
and I could try asking at opensolaris.org if we can't think of the
downsides :-)

Okay?

Tim

Dec 19, 2007, 12:59:19 PM12/19/07
to Erlang DTrace

> I've googled around, and can't find a reference which gives size
> limits, grrrr!

I think sourceforge has something like 100MB as well. The only
reference to it I could find was here:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=4297&group_id=1#acceptable_use

> This simplest thing sounds like just asking should ask google for a
> bigger limit. Is the google code project already set up, or should I
> do that?

It's set up:
http://code.google.com/p/erlang-dtrace/

and I just made you co-owner. It might be worth a try to just go ahead
and import the whole thing to see if they're liberal with their
quota... Problem is: subversion is not working properly from behind
the firewall where I'm currently located and I'm about to head back to
the hotel to no connectivity at all. So if you want to write the
admin:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=56628&topic=10456

> Okay?

I'm sure we'll end up finding a home somewhere, it's christmas after
all...
-tim