R0A-001-Erlang-DTrace - An initial release

G Bulmer

Jun 25, 2009, 8:04:02 AM6/25/09
to Erlang DTrace group
Folks

I have changed direction on Erlang-DTrace.
It was difficult to keep up with the Erlang source releases, and the
Erlang community encouraged me to try a Linked In Driver, so that's
what I've done.

This Erlang-DTrace is based on:
- erlang documentation (http://erlang.org/doc/tutorial/
c_portdriver.html),
- Klacke's bfile driver (though a remarkably small piece when I
trimmed it down :-), and
- Joe Armstrong's "programming Erlang" Chapter 12 example.
Hasan Veldstra helped a lot to get me up the initial learning curve at
last years Erlang User Conference, and identified the bfile driver as
a starting point.

This is a very, very simple, purely experimental release. I have only
tried it on Max OS X 10.5.7 (and maybe a couple of previous versions)

Download the zip archive, unzip into a directory, and read the
README.txt file.
(Essentially, unzip, make and run a test in two windows, one running
dtrace, and the other erlang).
If you are familiar with DTrace, you will see how to track Erlang
against other applications.

I have loaded the archive, called "R0A-001-erlang-dtrace.zip" to:
http://opensolaris.org/os/project/erlang-dtrace/files/
and
http://code.google.com/p/erlang-dtrace/

There are several key features missing, but I thought I should get it
shipped before my Erlang London 2009 talk later today !-)

Garry

PS - I apologise for my lack of progress, we suffered a serious
illness and bereavement in our family. I am still not recovered.

Matt Williamson

Jul 8, 2009, 9:33:01 AM7/8/09
to Erlang DTrace
I have a nice linked in driver example if there are others who have a
hard time getting into it. You can find it at
http://dawsdesign.com/drupal/erlang-driver-walkthrough