View this page "Scope"

G Bulmer

Dec 16, 2007, 9:33:04 PM12/16/07
to Erlang DTrace
Here's a short scope definition, which I hope includes your
investigation of the Ruby VM. I missed out the 'Line' probe as Erlang
has little concept of lines (probably should be clause or something),
and the object creation/completion, as I'm not sure what that will do
in Erlang which has no objects (and hence no complexity in object
initialisation AFAIK).

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-dtrace/web/scope - or
copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't work.

G Bulmer

Jan 3, 2008, 6:24:15 PM1/3/08
to Erlang DTrace
Added register/unregister port or PID probe.

DTrace static probes appear to be 'one way', with no way to pass-in
parameters. This is a potential obstacle to straightforward use of D
scripts to observe Erlang programs.

Erlang programs often use registered names, and not PIDs or Ports. D
scripts will need a way to discover the association between registered
names (atoms) and those Process IDs or Ports. This proposal provides a
way to get the association as it is made, and hence they can be used
to pass values to D script variables.

This approach also ensures changes of association between names and
PIDs/Ports will be notified to interested D scripts.

Click on http://groups.google.co.uk/group/erlang-dtrace/web/scope?hl=en