Fwd: Constitution of the ERH Society

Norman Fiering

Oct 28, 2010, 4:13:47 PM10/28/10
to Norman Fiering
Thank you,  Doug. I am forwarding your note to all.  The truth is, only a small percentage of the membership are academics. Whatever you have to say that relates to communities outside of academe is sure to be welcomed.

Norman

Begin forwarded message:

From: Doug Floyd <do...@springoflight.org>
Date: October 28, 2010 2:46:47 PM EDT
To: Norman Fiering <norman_...@brown.edu>
Cc: Peyton Craighill <peyt...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Constitution of the ERH Society

Thanks Norman. I appreciate Peyton's words. Not all of us are in academic settings. I know myself and few others are working in business and other settings. I've tried to translate ERH's work in the three local communities where I "spend" most of my time: business, church and arts. At times, this list has helped clarify some of my questions, applications, but I might ought to ask more questions because I sense there are several others trying to think and work out from ERH's thoughts in a wide range of settings.

Grace and Peace,

Doug Floyd
http://dougfloyd.wordpress.com
http://www.douglasfloyd.com/about-2

I am unable, even at the worst hours, to abdicate from the belief that the two validating wonders of mortal existence are love and the invention of the future tense. - George Steiner

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Norman Fiering <norman_...@brown.edu> wrote:
My gratitude, Peyton, for this close attention. I agree with it all.  Much of what ERH has to offer must be lived, not just talked about. Alas, that often takes courage.

Copies of your comments are going to the membership, and your proposed changes will be introduced at the meeting.

Norman

On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Peyton Craighill wrote:

Dear Norman,

I've read the Constitution of the ERH Society with much interest. As I suspected might be the case, as far as I can see, it appears to focus solely on promoting the preservation of the ERH tradition through study and interpretation of his works and says nothing about spreading more widely knowledge and understanding of his works. This is a formula for a more-or-less speedy death of his contribution to the world. Those who knew, loved, and were influenced by him are daily packing their bags for heaven. Without an intentional strategy for widening his influence, the ERH Society will soon be out of business. I suggest therefore two amendments to the Constitution as follows:

I. Purpose

The Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy Society of North America (hereafter ERH Society) exists to promote the study, interpretation, and the wide-spread awareness and understanding of the works (including the remarkable recorded lectures) of the great German historian and social philosopher, Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy (1888-1973), who immigrated to America in 1933 in protest against the rise of Hitler.

                                                                                        V. Duties and Terms of Committees

(3) The Program Committee shall consist of five members appointed by the President, including the Vice-President of the Society, who will serve as the chairperson. Members of the Program Committee shall serve for up to three years from the date of their appointment. The Program Committee is responsible forpromoting the wide-spread awareness and understanding of the life and work of Rosenstock-Huessy, includingperiodic gatherings concerning his life and work, which shall be held not less often than every three years. [The tenure of Committee members may terminate earlier if their mission of organizing a gathering  has been accomplished. ] (This may have to be eliminated if they are busy doing other promotional work.)

It may be that the members of the ERH Society, because they are academics, don't feel qualified to do promotional work. If so, they could certainly find others who do know how to do the job either to advise them on how to do it or to do the work on their behalf. I know that Clint has had much experience in this area. Whatever the case may be, the work has to be done if the ERH tradition is to survive.

Once again, all power to you.

Peyton Craighill

Norman Fiering
(Director and Librarian, Emeritus