Change keybinding for palimpsest in ergoemacs

littl...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2016, 10:30:51 PM10/7/16
to ErgoEmacs
I posted this awhile back on stackexchange and it didn't see any action, so I'll try here. Apologies if it's the wrong spot.

I use emacs to write prose, and I'm not a programmer. That said, I need to redefine keys to make this work.

I'm using ergoemacs in the colemak configuration, so all the default emacs keybindings are moved around. I installed the package 'palimpsest' which uses C-C C-R to do its thing. I would like to change that to M-b.

The place where I see it can be changed (in palimpsest.el) reads as follows:

(defgroup palimpsest nil
  "Customization group for `palimpsest-mode'."
    :group 'convenience)

(defcustom palimpsest-bottom-key (kbd "<f8>")
  "Keybinding to send selected text to bottom of the file. Defaults to C-c C-r"
  :group 'palimpsest
  :type '(restricted-sexp :match-alternatives (stringp vectorp)))

...etc

I tried changing it to to see if there was something wrong with my "?\M-b" input. It doesn't work.

The error I get: [Alt-B] keybinding is disabled! Use [Alt-L] (backwards-word)

Basically, I want this mode (if it's a mode) to always be active, since all I use emacs for is to write.

Any help would be appreciated. I think it could be a simple fix.

Matthew Fidler

Oct 12, 2016, 4:22:10 PM10/12/16
to ErgoEmacs
I'm sorry its taken so long to reply.

Things changed in defcustom are likely not to work well.

You could try adding them by hook, but that doesn't work 100% of the time.  The best way to ensure that ergoemacs works with a key is to define a component

(ergoemacs-component ergoemacs-palimpsest()
  "Ergoemacs-mode theme for palimpsest."
(define-key palimpsest-keymap (kbd "M-b")  'move-region-to-bottom))
(ergoemacs-require 'ergoemacs-palimpsest)

For me this works just fine.  Just note that (kbd "M-b") is the QWERTY key M-b, but it may be different on a different keyboard layout.  You can specify the layout as well if you wish.

SLW

Oct 12, 2016, 5:39:14 PM10/12/16
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. Adding that, I get this:

Symbol's function definition is void: ergoemacs-component.

Do I need to load something beforehand?

Obviously, I have already (require 'ergoemacs-mode), but I guess I need something else ?

Thanks!!

Matthew Fidler

Oct 13, 2016, 12:50:08 AM10/13/16
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
What version of ergoemacs-mode do you have?  And emacs for that matter?

SLW

Oct 13, 2016, 2:08:34 AM10/13/16
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04, modified by Debian

Ergoemacs-mode is 5.14.7.3

Matthew Fidler