Default ergoemacs-mode keybinding for set-mark-command (⌘-SPC) does not work yaml-mode.

stanislav...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2016, 12:51:33 PM2/14/16
to ErgoEmacs
Dear ErgoEmacs community,

I am Emacs (v24.5) newbie and I use it with ergoemacs-mode (v5.14.7.3.1) key-bindings.

I need to edit a lot of data in YAML format manually and I use yaml-mode (v20160101.921) for that because of its highlighting and proper indenting.

However, when I try to set-mark-command in yaml-mode with ergoemacs-mode keys ⌘-SPC it does nothing and only says:

edmacro-parse-keys: M- must prefix a single character, not SPc

Could you, please, suggest how can I make ⌘-SPC behave in yaml-mode as it does everywhere else in Emacs (i.e., org-mode, ess).

Kind regards,
Stas

Matthew Fidler

Feb 15, 2016, 2:35:16 PM2/15/16
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Did you try removing all of the elc files,  restarting and then reinstalling ergoemacs-mode?

stanislav...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2016, 6:30:38 PM3/13/16
to ErgoEmacs
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your suggestion. It works perfectly now and I happy about that. But, I can not tell what was the exact issue because I reinstalled ergoemacs-mode from Melpa (ergoemacs-mode-20160225.2338). Initially I used stable version (other reasons to switch from ergoemacs-mode stable version are that I can not make it to load when I use use-package, it is slower at startup and it writes customize settings on exit).

Now I have problems with minibuffer echos (I think it because of new ergoemacs-mode). Echos take a lot of time to show and I can not continue a key sequence while it is on. For example, in org-mode when I do <menu> F 1 to insert a time stamp it shows echo about key translations and if I press <return> immediately (as I get used to) to chose today date while echo is on everything freezes (so I force emacs to quit each time). When I wait for echo to disappear the calendar minibufer pops up and I can proceed but it takes longer and annoying. After I switched ergoemacs echos off  by (setq ergoemacs-echo-function nil) another problem appeared - I have no echos at all. For instance, if I do M-= to see number of characters it pops up for a such a short time that I am not even able to see it.

Could you, please, suggest how can I have useful echos without need to wait for pressing next keys?

My current ergoemacs-mode settings in init.el are following:

(use-package ergoemacs-mode

     :diminish undo-tree-mode

     :init
     (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)  ;; Otherwise it would be Alt on Mac (I want Cmd which was a default for stable version of ergoemacs-mode)
     (setq mac-option-modifier nil)
     (define-key key-translation-map (kbd "<f13>") (kbd "<menu>")) ;; <f13> is assigned to CAPSLOCK
     (setq ergoemacs-theme nil) ;; Uses Standard Ergoemacs keyboard theme
     (setq ergoemacs-keyboard-layout "us") ;; Assumes QWERTY keyboard layout
     (setq ergoemacs-mode-line nil)  ;; Does not work by just setting (diminish 'ergoemacs-mode)
     (setq ergoemacs-handle-ctl-c-or-ctl-x 'only-C-c-and-C-x)  ;; this should fix problem of applying org-mode keybindings on regions
     (setq ergoemacs-command-loop-blink-character nil)  ;; looks better
     (setq ergoemacs-echo-function nil)

     :config
     (ergoemacs-mode 1)
     (ergoemacs-theme-component extra ()
       "Extra keys"
       :layout "us"
       :bind (("<menu> 1" . split-window-right)
              ("M-g" . my-delete-line)
              ("M-S-g" . my-backward-delete-line)
              ("M-e" . my-backward-delete-word)
              ("M-r" . my-delete-word)
              ("<menu> c" . company-complete)))
       (ergoemacs-require 'extra))

Kind regards,
Stas

Matthew Fidler

Mar 15, 2016, 11:30:03 AM3/15/16
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
I'm unsure why you are having the issue. I cannot reproduce what you are showing.

However, I did make sure that when `ergoemacs-echo-function` is nil, the messages are not cleared.

Perhaps this can address your issue.

Matthew Fidler

Mar 15, 2016, 11:51:28 AM3/15/16
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
I also made these translations only echo if you are not using the minibuffer.  Hence with default options you don't have to wait to press return.