Need help to install ergoemacs/mode (Symbol's value as variable is void: ergoemacs-theme-hash)

claudio....@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 4:04:27 AM11/5/14
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I tried to install the ergoemacs-mode and failed miserably... any help would be much appreciated!

I run linux mint 16 with a fresh install of the emacs23-nox package. I consider myself an intermediate linux user and I have used emacs for at least 6 month, but I don't have the first clue about (emacs) lisp or any of emacs' inner workings.

I followed the steps described here: http://ergoemacs.github.io/. Specifically I cloned the ergoemacs repository in ~/.emacs.d/, I created a new ~/.emacs.d/init.el file and added the code described under "manual setup" and "Enabling ergoemacs-mode".

Then I started emacs, which resulted in the following warning:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/the-clau/.emacs.d/init.el':
Symbol's value as variable is void: ergoemacs-theme-hash

I tried out keybindings and they were still the same classic emacs ones.

Thanks for reading!
Cheers

Claudio Kirchhoff

claudio....@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 4:31:23 AM11/5/14
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Update: As I was cycling through my buffers I just stumbled upon the compile-log which says:

Compiling file /home/the-clau/.emacs.d/ergoemacs-mode/ergoemacs-theme-engine.el at Wed Nov  5 10:28:36 2014
Entering directory `/home/the-clau/.emacs.d/ergoemacs-mode/'
ergoemacs-theme-engine.el:265:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void: filename

Matthew Fidler

Nov 5, 2014, 11:53:02 AM11/5/14
to ergo...@googlegroups.com

What version of ergoemacs-mode are you using. How did you obtain it?

claudio....@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 1:16:47 PM11/5/14
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
I got it by cloning from github as described in http://ergoemacs.github.io/. Like so:

cd ~/.emacs.d git clone -b master --single-branch https://github.com/ergoemacs/ergoemacs-mode.git

Matthew Fidler

Nov 6, 2014, 9:13:01 AM11/6/14
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
If you wish to use the stable version, after the git checkout, try

git checkout v5.14.7.3

Also note that ergoemacs-mode requires emacs 24.1 or newer.  (It uses some keymap features that are newer)

Matt

Claudio Kirchhoff

Nov 7, 2014, 5:34:02 AM11/7/14
to ergo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, Matthew!

git checkout v5.14.7.3  did the trick. No error/warning and the keybindings seem to work. I still run emacs 23.4.1 though, but in case I run in more problems I'll give the latest emacs a shot.

Cheers