Updating to ERDDAP 2.23

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal

Mar 1, 2024, 5:43:18 PMMar 1
to ERDDAP
Hi All:

We again suggest that everyone update their ERDDAP to version 2.23, the latest (through scans we have found version going back to 1.18). Besides the new features in the most recent version, older versions of ERDDAP may have versions of Java libraries with known vulnerabilities. To make your ERDDAP as secure as possible, please update. If you know others who need to update please encourage them to do so. We are always ready to help anyone who has problems updating (the update from version 1.1x to 2.23 in particular requires some changes to the setup.xml and datasets.xml).

Most of all thank you for using ERDDAP. In the classes we teach on using ERDDAP we get such positive feedback from people that they can now so easily get the data they need for their research, and usually directly into their tool of choice. There has been some wonderful client software developed, as well as a host of tutorial material (ping me if you would like pointers to the material).

Thanks,

-Roy

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new street address***
110 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: Roy.Men...@noaa.gov www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Rob Cermak

Mar 2, 2024, 9:47:44 AMMar 2
to ERDDAP
Roy,

I am checking the Axiom container with ERDDAP 2.23.

$ sudo docker container ls
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                    COMMAND                  CREATED       STATUS        PORTS                      NAMES
07f554806e03   axiom/docker-erddap:2.23-jdk17-openjdk   "/entrypoint.sh cata…"   2 weeks ago   Up 45 hours   127.0.0.1:8080->8080/tcp   local_erddap

Does anything else need to be updated?  Here are some of the start up specifics within the container.

29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.229 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version name:   Apache Tomcat
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server built:          Nov 10 2023 16:17:33 UTC
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Server version number: 10.1.16.0
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Name:               Linux
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log OS Version:            6.5.0-21-generic
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Architecture:          amd64
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log Java Home:             /opt/java/openjdk
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.233 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Version:           17.0.9+9
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.234 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JVM Vendor:            Eclipse Adoptium
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.234 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_BASE:         /usr/local/tomcat
29-Feb-2024 17:32:37.234 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log CATALINA_HOME:         /usr/local/tomcat

Thanks!
Rob

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 1:43 PM 'Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal' via ERDDAP <erd...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Chris John - NOAA Affiliate

Mar 2, 2024, 10:44:11 AMMar 2
to Rob Cermak, ERDDAP
I don't think anything else needs to be updated. You can view the changelog/info for admins here: https://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/erddap/download/changes.html#changes2.23

There were a number of updates to dependencies in the release, but there should be nothing you need to do for those.

Chris

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal

Mar 2, 2024, 10:49:56 AMMar 2
to Rob Cermak, ERDDAP, Chris John - NOAA Affiliate
Hi Rob:

The change that can catch people is if they update an existing 1.1x ERDDAP to 2.23. There were changes in setup.xml and datasets.xml documented in the change log - n most cases you can not use the existing ones exactly as is. The changes are small, but they still need to be made. We did in fact find that there are some version 1.1x out there.

Thanks!

-Roy

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new street address***
110 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: Roy.Men...@noaa.gov www: https://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Rob Cermak

Mar 2, 2024, 5:29:00 PMMar 2
to ERDDAP
Roy and Chris,

Great.  Thanks for confirming things look good in the container.

In reference to the change log, I saw this:

IMPROVED: GenerateDatasetsXml now changes to CF-10 (was CF-1.6) in the "Conventions" attributes.
Thanks to Bob Simons for this code change.

I will start a separate thread on a question I have for GenerateDatasetXml.  But, noting the CF-10 change.   I am hacking into the python ioos compliance checker.   Is there a specific update I can include with a future pull request to assist with this change/update? Compliance checker; Glider dac plugin

This probably digresses beyond the scope and intent of this subject thread and might need another thread.

I just bring it up as a potential conflict in interoperability now between toolsets and potentially start a discussion about how best to reconcile toolsets.

I am particularly concerned with the gliderdac:3.0 plugin.  Will the above be reflected in a future update to the published IOOS netCDF 2.0 standard?

Conventions

Version of the Climate and Forecast metadata conventions followed by the file format specification.

Value:
“CF-1.6”

Thanks!
Rob

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new street address***
110 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980

bobsimons2.00

Mar 2, 2024, 9:02:33 PMMar 2
to ERDDAP
As you say,  the changes.html page says
"IMPROVED: GenerateDatasetsXml now changes to CF-10 (was CF-1.6) in the "Conventions" attributes."
It seems likely that that is a typo and should be
"IMPROVED: GenerateDatasetsXml now changes to CF-1.10 (was CF-1.6) in the "Conventions" attributes."
Chris, please verify that and fix the documentation of so.

Thanks.

Chris John - NOAA Affiliate

Mar 4, 2024, 10:16:14 AMMar 4
to bobsimons2.00, ERDDAP
Yes the change was to CF-1.10. I'll update the documentation.

Chris

Chris John - NOAA Affiliate

Mar 4, 2024, 10:19:05 AMMar 4
to bobsimons2.00, ERDDAP